The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Headphones at the barn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/headphones-barn-45020/)

Amba1027 01-13-2010 02:30 AM

Headphones at the barn

I was reading an article recently about things you can do after a fall if you're nervous about riding. One of the suggestions was to listen to your iPod. I thought that was an odd thing to suggest because it seems to me that having headphones on while riding doesn't seem like a great idea.

Now, I don't think it said anything about using headphones specifically but since it didn't just say "listen to music" that was my understanding of it. It got me thinking about listening to music on headphones while at the barn. One barn I was at had a rule against it as a safety issue which I understand. You can't hear if you have headphones on and so you are less aware of what's going on around you.

That being said, I listen to music on headphones while I work at the barn. I am as safe as possible about it. I leave one out so I have full hearing with one ear, and I keep the volume low. The reason I do that is because I am alone a good part of the time I'm there and being alone makes me anxious. Especially when it's so quiet. Anyway I felt like my being anxious was making the horses anxious, and so listening to music calms me down, which calms them down. It's worked well so far but I was just wondering what others opinions are on doing this.

Becca93 01-13-2010 04:02 AM

When I do any chore horse or non horse I generally have atleast one earphone in. It keeps me motivated and makes the task less boring. I can't comment on making you less nervous, but I guess it gives you something else to concentrate on.

Jessabel 01-13-2010 11:37 AM

I don't like having headphones on while I'm at the barn because I need to be able to listen and make sure all the horses are okay and not getting into trouble. And I like the sound of them eating. I'll turn the radio on sometimes and jam out to the rock station while I'm doing chores. :lol: Just as long as I can hear everything else that's going on, too.

riccil0ve 01-16-2010 10:37 PM

I listen to music at the barn all the time. I have a radio that I constantly have on full-blast, rocking out to whatever my iPod brings up, and I also ride with earphones in 95% of the time. Of course, it's a private barn, and it's always just me, lol. I find that the music really gives me a rhythm to work with and I'm more consistent. I also believe that because I'm not paying attention to the "outside world" noises, neither is my horse. She doesn't try to look as often when I have my earphones in. I have a whole playlist on my iPod called "Riding Music." =D

Amba1027 01-16-2010 11:18 PM

I have a playlist on my Zune called "Barn". I was aiming for about 4 hours of music because that's usually how long it takes to get my work done. I ended up with 10 lol.

I never thought of the horse reacting less because you don't. I'm kind of the opposite though. I use the headphones when working and the radio when riding.

ridergirl23 01-16-2010 11:24 PM

I am the kindof person that is constantly listening to everything going on. haha i board at a barn so i always am listening for cars coming up the drivway or othe people, or horses getting into trouble... when i put my ipod in i go into my own little world *hehehe* but i do listen to the radio when im riding.

riccil0ve 01-17-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amba1027 (Post 524124)
I have a playlist on my Zune called "Barn". I was aiming for about 4 hours of music because that's usually how long it takes to get my work done. I ended up with 10 lol.

I never thought of the horse reacting less because you don't. I'm kind of the opposite though. I use the headphones when working and the radio when riding.

I would use the radio all the time, because I have the tape I can put in that connects to my iPod, but I can't hear the stereo in the pasture, lol.