The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Afraid of spray bottle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/afraid-spray-bottle-4505/)

kim_angel 11-27-2007 04:14 PM

Afraid of spray bottle?

So my new horse is afraid of the spray bottle. She nearly jumped through the roof of the barn when I spritzed some Show Sheen on her mane.

Whats the best way to work them out of this fear that is the least traumatic for them?

Equina 11-27-2007 04:42 PM

Re: Afraid of spray bottle?

How new to you is she? Is she also at a new barn?

When I first bought my horse (and brought him to a new barn), he was very jumpy about everything. It was summer, and I couldn't even spray him with fly spray (I had to get rub-on foam).

But now that he knows and trust me...and he realizes that he's gonna have to stand in an empty barn for a few minutes each day while we tack up...I can spray him all over and he doesn't care.

Also, I'm sure you know, horse's skin is very sensitive...they feel that fly and can twitch just that specific part of their skin. Probably when the droplets of Show Sheen land on her coat, she feels a bunch of little bugs attacking her!! Not to mention of sound of that scary spray bottle!!

You could start off by applying the Show Sheen with a cloth...then she gets used to the scent. You may even want to get a spray bottle with water in it and spray around her (not ON her) while patting her or giving her treats. So she gets used to the sound. Then, after she's okay with that, pick an area and rub/pat that area until she's bored with the rubbing, then give it a little spritz. If she jumps, keep rubbing the area (and get show sheen all over your hand!) Just keep reassuring her that the spritz isn't going to kill her and she's a good girl.

Just start off slow and soon enough she'll learn that the spray bottle is not a threat (or she'll just learn that she can trust you through anything you do to her!)

luvmystandardbred27 11-27-2007 08:58 PM

well, i didn't get a chance to see what Equina said (hi Equina! hehe) but usually i will let them sniff the bottle, then maybe move the bottle down his/her back. i hope that helps!!

Vidaloco 11-28-2007 07:44 AM

Hey I was going to say that Equina! Good advice. I would definitly start out with a bottle of water so your not wasting expensive products. Is this the Ky pony? Probably still a little spooky being in a new place too.

kim_angel 11-28-2007 10:11 AM

Thank you all for the good advice.
My other horse was never afraid of things like that, so I was not sure what to do.

Angel is new to me and to her surroundings. I bought her and brought her from KY to MD on 11/10/07. She settled in really well in the pasture and going to her stall to get fed. Its just the bottle that she is afraid of. I spoke to the woman I purchased her from and she said that this past summer she had Angel and Tucker (her other horse who is Angels older sister) tied to a post together. She sprayed Tucker and Tucker freaked out, which in turn caused Angel to freak. Looks like she remembers that incident.

I'll work slow by doing the scent on the cloth and go from there.

I hope she learns that I am not a predator and I am just a friendly person who loves her.

:)

PaintsAqha 12-13-2007 10:24 PM

We bought a gelding that you could not spray with anything! I started out just spraying him when he was eating hay. I would let him move about and spray some more then when he got where he did not mind that I worked up towards the head I would cover his eye so he could not see the spray bottle coming near his neck or ear area.
It really helped He eventually could be sprayed anywhere and could care less.
He was the same way about water but would go into panic mode. So I started spraying him when he was in the pasture eating again during the hot part of the day. Would even have someone hold him and I start at the feet and work my way up. He got to where he did not mind at all. If you start at their feet it helps allot. oppose to just spraying their bodies first.
Good Luck and have patience.

PoptartShop 12-14-2007 10:58 PM

You can also try rubbing it on a glove or a cloth, & then rubbing it on her. Or spraying it on your hand then putting it on her. ;)
My old horse used to be like that.
Good luck!!

Delregans Way 12-16-2007 04:26 PM

Yes i am in agreeance with all the above posts. Equina you have great advice :D

Magic 01-04-2008 03:13 AM

Re: Afraid of spray bottle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim_angel
So my new horse is afraid of the spray bottle. She nearly jumped through the roof of the barn when I spritzed some Show Sheen on her mane.

Whats the best way to work them out of this fear that is the least traumatic for them?

When I got my first horse, she HATED spray of any kind. I just held her rope and sprayed a little she would circle around me trying to avoid it and was going crazy so I would talk to her and pet her if she didn't run off and a few months later after lots of practicing, she let me spray her and was calm!

PaintsandPintos70 01-05-2008 05:21 PM

My horse used to HATE spray bottles!! I cured her by having someone stand by her head and feed her treats thet she LOVED while i sprayed her and within 2 months she began to associate the spray bottle with treats and dosent move away or even move now because she wants her treat!! it did cause her to gain some weight though!!! lol