The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   First ride since my horse attacked me :)) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/first-ride-since-my-horse-attacked-45089/)

horsexquad 01-14-2010 12:14 AM

First ride since my horse attacked me :))

attack story an annotation in beginning of this video

midnightbright 01-14-2010 05:38 PM

how did he attack you?

kevinshorses 01-14-2010 06:41 PM

Are you saying you found a solution? I think llhe is still not liking what is going on with him. If it were up to me I would quit using the cross ties and teach some manners or send him to the canners.

thunderhooves 01-14-2010 06:49 PM

the canners? As in dog food? If so, how sick and twisted are you?

MN Tigerstripes 01-14-2010 06:52 PM

I'm confused... I can't see/find the annotation. Why and how did your horse attack you? And you solved it how? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

dressagexlee 01-14-2010 10:05 PM

The video is here, TigerStripes.

Out of curiousity, how much turn-out does Reggie get? Horses kept in stalls for many hours of the day will get stressed out, especially ones with "aggressive" personalities like my boy Freddy, and they develop vices or behaviour problems that help channel their energy.
This "attack for no reason" could be caused by the lack of turn-out (and also lack of variation in work, horses get bored and depressed from doing the same things all the time.) that he gets. Healthy turn-out for most horses is around six to eight hours.

mom2pride 01-14-2010 10:53 PM

Soooooo...am I assuming you've cross tied him higher/tighter, or that you've just started cross tying him? That's not a solution, that's a cover up. To me, your horse still appears REALLY PISSY while tied, and you did one of the worst things you can do with a horse who has bitten that badly...you stood (for quite a while) and crossed right in front of him where he could easily have grabbed you. Now if the actual biting issue hasn't been addressed, him being cross tied is still him being a loose cannon waiting to go off. JMHO

kevinshorses 01-14-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderhooves (Post 522174)
the canners? As in dog food? If so, how sick and twisted are you?

No canners as in food for humans. And I am sick and twisted enough not to waste money, time and the risk of injury to myself or others on a horse that can't be handled without the risk of attack.

kevinshorses 01-14-2010 11:02 PM

It won't be long before he turns to kicking or striking since he can't get to you with his teeth.

Becca93 01-14-2010 11:05 PM

You need to go back and teach him ground manners. Leaving notes and putting him in cross ties gives you a temporary solution that doesn't fix the problem.

I hope you can work it out because that bit and the bruises look painful.:-(