The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Diet of a foundered horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/diet-foundered-horse-45102/)

whitetrashwarmblood 01-14-2010 10:56 AM

Diet of a foundered horse

Just curious. I know of a horse that supposedly foundered from grass. If this is the case, would that horse never be able to eat grass again? I've had some people tell me this is the only way. But I've also read that the horse can still eat grass, but a very limited amount. The horse didn't get grain. So is giving them a strictly-just-hay diet the way to go?

Pidge 01-14-2010 11:01 AM

Some horses that are not use to getting good grass...which has alot of sugar...and that were fed on only hay an grain may founder if they are suddenly thrown into a lush pasture full of sugary grasses...

In this case it just takes time for their bodies to adjust to the extra sugar in the grass...i heard somewhere that pastures with alot of clover were bad about foundering horses in this way...

Now if the horse has another underlying issue with his founder case then im not sure what to tell you...thats all i know..

Good luck!

Kaioti 01-14-2010 11:02 AM

In my opinion, as a trained farrier, if I had a foundered horse I would give it nothing but low quality hay and nothing else (aside from any Necessary supplements...and as long as its weight stayed good.) Just to be safe. In theory a fully recovered foundered horse could go back to carefully managed pasture time, but since it isn't necessary why risk it.

Horses don't really need treats, and unless they are hard keepers, they don't need grain/weight supplements. A diet of just hay doesn't hurt them at all.

Chloe16251 07-28-2012 03:02 PM

My Horse has foundered :(

What are some treats I can feed him? He is 13 and was foundered when i got him. I would like to give him treats but I dont want to have him founder again :/ please help!

loosie 07-28-2012 09:46 PM

Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Information
Katy Watts | Safergrass.org :wink: