The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Why can't I ever get lucky...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/why-cant-i-ever-get-lucky-45115/)

Britt 01-14-2010 03:15 PM

Why can't I ever get lucky...?

Why?

I just finished taking the shoes off my horses, as they'd been on a few weeks too long. I mean to get out there a few weeks ago, but we had a freezing spell and I don't go outside when it's in the teens.
So, I took them off today, as it was above 45 degrees.

Why, oh why can't I ever get lucky... Why can't my horses be like all my friends horses and get loose shoes? Why can't my horses thow their shoes when they've been on too long like all the other horses I know out here do? My horses shoes don't get loose. Period. They can be on a week or a month too long and they're still as tight as they day they got put on. My horses don't throw their shoes. Ever.

I was planning on riding, but my mare was walking stiff, and I noticed that my gelding's hooves looked quite long.. Why did it slip my mind that my mare's hooves grow slow, but my gelding's hooves grow fast? Why did I ever think that I could put them on the same schedule and it'd be ok... now, while my mare's hooves look good, my gelding's hooves are horrible...

I'm going to be trimming his hooves, trying to get them back to normal, for weeks! Months!

*Sigh*
Sorry, this is mainly just a rant... I'm so mad at myself for letting my horses hooves get so bad...

JumpingTheMoon 01-14-2010 08:37 PM

Hang in there!!!

Britt 01-14-2010 09:10 PM

I am, lol. I'm just so... disgusted with myself for letting their hooves get that bad... Makes me feel like a bad horse-owner...

Sunny06 01-14-2010 09:14 PM

Perhaps just leave them off while you aren't riding so much? That's what I do in the summer.

Britt 01-14-2010 09:19 PM

I normally do leave the shoes off in the winter... I had the shoes put on before it got too too cold to ride... (it only really got very cold near new years). I ride all during the summer. But then, I also do ride a lot during winter... normally, I have shoes on through half of summer, spring, and fall/beginning of winter, then pull the shoes for the coldest part of winter... which is january-end of february...