The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Calm! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/calm-45148/)

Sghorselover 01-14-2010 08:41 PM

Calm!

Just wondering if you have ever used calming supplements on your horses?
Mt horse is full of energy and were getting tired of dealing with the energy. We turn her out till she pretty huffy and puffy but no loss in energy!

Do they work?
IS it worth trying or just deal with the energy the best we can?

OdinsOwn 01-14-2010 08:56 PM

I would try to manage the energy and try to find some sort of outlet for it whether it be through work or play.

I did at one point have my horse on a calming supplement not long after I got him because he was crazy. Not high energy- just super spooky and generally unmanageable which did not bode well for trying to break him to saddle. He was probably on it for about 4-5 months and was less reactive but seemed a bit more tense in general. Once I took him off he seemed better to me though... although his reactions to some things seemed "bigger" the moments in between were much more relaxed and he seemed to work better. At the time we were desperate since he was getting kind of dangerous, but I don't think I'd repeat it the same way again after seeing the difference in his demeanor on and off the supplement.

roro 01-14-2010 09:32 PM

I occasionally use a tube of Quietex for trailering a horse, but that lasts only 12 hours. Of course, in those 12 hours it works quite well. However, I would recommend against a calming supplement unless there seems to be no other practical alternative. Some horses, such as odinsown mentioned, do not do well with calming supplements and others can get harmful side effects. Cut down or cut off any grain or sugary treats/feed your horse is getting and try to have small amounts of hay in front of her as often as possible to simulate grazing. Also, talk to your vet about vitamin or mineral supplements that horses that do the same work/live in the same area etc as your horse may need (for example, in WA state there is a Magnesium deficiency so I give my horse a magnesium supplement, a lack of magnesium can make horses seem irritable, nervous, and reduce muscle performance). Let him get plenty of turn out and work on relaxation whenever you are with him, riding or not.

charlicata 01-14-2010 09:43 PM

I agree with roro as far as the feed. I had been feeding the saddlebred I had a mixture of sweet feed and a the senior feed that blue ribbon puts out. He put on the weight that I wanted him to...but got worse and worse as he did. It took me about a month, but I got him switched over to the DuMor Stable Energy. It doesn't have any molasses in it.

gypsygirl 01-14-2010 10:11 PM

my friend feeds some kind of calming supplement to her hunting horse. she is not insane, but when she sees the hounds she shakes & in the trailer she shakes & then she sweats a ton & loses a ton of weight. it really helps her, she is just herself, but she doesnt shake anymore & will stand nicely.

Sghorselover 01-14-2010 10:42 PM

Thanks she on just cubes! treats occasionally but she an energy machine!! She has lots of days off and she gets turn outs and play times alot she stands around 3 days a week. And shes quite spooky!

Sghorselover 01-14-2010 10:43 PM

I agree with the outlet she gets turnoust in huge arenas and she gets lunged tooo. Idk shes a energizer bunny!!

Sghorselover 01-14-2010 10:44 PM

Shes just on basic feed and supplements if she need it she like 10!