The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Side reins (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/side-reins-45150/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-14-2010 08:48 PM

Side reins

My trainer suggested I invest in a good pair of side reins (with a donut) and a surcingle. Anyone have any tips on how to spot a good set?

I don't want the priciest thing out there, but I certainly don't want to buy something crappy that will fall apart in a week either! ;-)

gypsygirl 01-14-2010 09:01 PM

i always use side reins made with leather peices that will break in case of an accident over the ones that are all nylon. after that i just go for the cheapest i can find =]

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-14-2010 09:03 PM

Good advice!

eventerdrew 01-14-2010 09:13 PM

I use nylon ones without a suricingle (donut) but that has an elastic piece up by their head. I have found that those are the most adjustable and comfortable for them.

mine look exactly like this (the longer pieces are just the ends of the others, which have the elastic on them): http://www.horsetackco.com/images/sidereinscrump.gif

MIEventer 01-14-2010 09:17 PM

I have a pair of Nylon Side Reins, with a rubber donught. Mine also have those clips to allow you to lengthen or shorten without having to use buckles.

Dover's Easy-Adjust Side Reins With Donut - Dover Saddlery.

Polaris 01-15-2010 07:45 AM

I have a pair of Bobby's Tack side reins. They are leather with the donut, and they are very nice quality. If I remember correctly, I paid right around $50.00 for them. Very pleased.

As far as a surcingle, I have one that I purchased from Dover and really like that as well. I use a surcingle pad with it, and that I purchased from Dressage Extensions. I used to use baby pads or a simple a/p pad under the surcingle but found that they shifted too much for my liking....the surcingle pad stays in place.

If you are interested in a quality lunging cavesson, Dressage Extensions carries one that is soooo nice (yes, i have that as well....lol). I can get the item # if you're interested.

Hope that helps.:D

My Beau 01-15-2010 09:10 AM

I have this surcingle from Dover:
Dover's Training Surcingle - Dover Saddlery.

Love it! But they run big in my experience. I have a 1000lb TB mare and a 1100lb QH gelding and the horse size was too large for both of them. But it was easily fixed bu punching more holes in the billets.

Romantic Lyric 01-15-2010 08:32 PM

I've heard the rubber donuts can harden and crack in two in the winter. I would go with the elastic ones.

eventerdrew 01-15-2010 08:48 PM

yeah, I had a pair with a donut in them that completely fell apart. That's why I love the elastic. They've lasted for years now.

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-15-2010 10:09 PM

Thanks everyone!! What about this for a surcingle?

Fleece Lined Surcingle - Dover Saddlery.