The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Am I crazy for wanting this horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/am-i-crazy-wanting-horse-45187/)

LisaG719 01-15-2010 11:10 AM

Am I crazy for wanting this horse?

This summer I stepped back into the world of horse riding. I am still learning (and probably always will be). I currently ride around 4 days a week on my friend's horse. She is a rescue TB cross that likes to 'go'. When she doesn't get her way she likes to toss her head and occasionally kick out. She has tossed my friend before but has been decent with me. I never ride alone and she is always there giving me tips on how to get better control, etc.

So, here's the rub. I was offered to be able to take over the horse's cost and have her as my own BUT she doesn't have the capabilities that I am looking for. I am interested in trail and endurance rides but mainly just pleasure riding as often as I can. Because of this I have been looking online for a better fit. That's when I stumbled across Sophie. She is a gorgeous Quarab that was foaled in May 2003. She was listed for a while and then taken down so I assumed that she was sold. Low and behold she is back!

Here is her dreamhorse.com page: http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1425073&share_this=Y

There is even a video on there of her. *sigh*

Here's the kicker though: "She needs a patient, experienced handler / rider, who is capable of focusing her energy on whatever task is at hand."

Am I crazy for wanting this horse? Should I take a step back and look for something that is a better match for my skillset?

Speed Racer 01-15-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaG719 (Post 522742)
Am I crazy for wanting this horse? Should I take a step back and look for something that is a better match for my skillset?

Yes and yes.

Too many people take on a horse who's too much for them and that's not fair to the horse. They wind up never being ridden, or continuously sold down the road.

Many of them wind up at auction after they've been ruined, purely because people haven't been honest with themselves about being able to handle and ride a horse who needs a knowledgeable owner.

If your skill sets do NOT match what this animal requires, do her a favor and pass.

Alwaysbehind 01-15-2010 12:04 PM

I agree with SR with one exception.

If you are planning on having you and the horse in full time training (not necessarily with each other) to make your skill sets match then it is not a foolish idea.

Plains Drifter 01-15-2010 12:12 PM

She seems to be an amazing horse! I can see why you would want her. If she was in my area and in my price range, I'd want to have her too! Good luck with your decision.

LisaG719 01-15-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 522770)
Yes and yes.

Too many people take on a horse who's too much for them and that's not fair to the horse. They wind up never being ridden, or continuously sold down the road.

Many of them wind up at auction after they've been ruined, purely because people haven't been honest with themselves about being able to handle and ride a horse who needs a knowledgeable owner.

If your skill sets do NOT match what this animal requires, do her a favor and pass.

That's exactly what I don't want. I don't want to make a decision that will hurt myself or the horse. But, I also don't want a nanny horse that won't challenge me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 522775)
I agree with SR with one exception.

If you are planning on having you and the horse in full time training (not necessarily with each other) to make your skill sets match then it is not a foolish idea.

I am fully considering taking on fulltime training sessions. That's part of my interest in her. I want a horse that has the energy but discipline to help me become a better rider. From the ad it sounds like she has had a ton of time and money invested in her and I would love to become a better match for her. Hence, being torn on the issue. I just don't want to put either one of us in a dangerous situation.

Speed Racer 01-15-2010 12:17 PM

I agree with that caveat, Always.

Unfortunately, how many people actually take lessons or have their horses trained by professionals? If this BB is any indication, very few.

Too many people believe they can buy foals, problem horses, or horses beyond their own skill sets, and think they'll be able to train them properly with no outside professional help.

These are the people about which I'm talking, not the ones who buy a horse and plan to have a trainer work with both of them to make them into a cohesive team.

Lisa, if you plan to get a trainer involved in the mix, why not have them evaluate your skills before you buy anything? That way, they'll know what type of horse you need to challenge you, but not scare the daylights out of you.

LisaG719 01-15-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plains Drifter (Post 522783)
She seems to be an amazing horse! I can see why you would want her. If she was in my area and in my price range, I'd want to have her too! Good luck with your decision.

Thanks! It's just one of those things where you inexplicably fall in love with something. I am going to try and contact the seller today to get more information as to why Sophie requires an experienced handler and details about her sale.

LisaG719 01-15-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 522788)
I agree with that caveat Always.

Unfortunately, how many people actually take lessons or have their horses trained by professionals? If this BB is any indication, very few.

Too many people believe they can buy foals, problem horses, or horses beyond their own skill sets, and think they'll be able to train them properly with no outside professional help.

These are the people about which I'm talking, not the ones who buy a horse and plan to have a trainer work with both of them to make them into a cohesive team.

So, it sounds like that is the key. If I decide to try and take her on I should be signed up with a professional trainer to get us to be a better skill match for one another. What should I be looking for in a trainer? I am assuming that the BO that trains children/teens to ride isn't going to be experienced enough to help us.

Alwaysbehind 01-15-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaG719 (Post 522786)
I am fully considering taking on fulltime training sessions. That's part of my interest in her. I want a horse that has the energy but discipline to help me become a better rider. From the ad it sounds like she has had a ton of time and money invested in her and I would love to become a better match for her. Hence, being torn on the issue. I just don't want to put either one of us in a dangerous situation.

Then take your trainer and look at the horse and let your trainer help you decide if your skill set can grow into something that agrees with this horse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 522788)

I totally agree!

LisaG719 01-15-2010 12:33 PM

I appreciate the advice guys!