The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Sitting Trot? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/sitting-trot-45296/)

easyluckyfree 01-16-2010 10:28 PM

Sitting Trot?

So i've mastered the posting trot, now today I was introduced to the sitting trot, and I could not stay put in the saddle for more than a second. Not at all. I just bounced all over the place, I'm not really sure at all how i'm supposed to do this, any advice? -__-

ridergirl23 01-16-2010 10:31 PM

haha its hard! i still remember learning that.... i HATED it, but now i love sitting the trot! try riding without stirrups (warnin: you WILL BE VERY SORE the next day!)
and remember to relax, it will take practice to master it! :D

ridergirl23 01-16-2010 10:33 PM

haha and you can tell us all about the blisters afterward...... ;) just teasing, i never got blisters.....

kaykat31 01-16-2010 10:34 PM

I ride a SUPER bouncy pony & have to do sitting trot on him, I practice it a TON.Practice makes better(no one can be perfect).Remember to have a relaxed body & let your leg stretch down & push down on your seat into the saddle.

Brighteyes 01-16-2010 10:35 PM

You know when you canter you squeeze your stomach muscles when you go up and relax when you go down to keep yourself in the seat? (Or something like that... Hard to put in words. :?)

It's a bit of the same principal. You use your stomach muscles to absorb the shock, just like sitting canter.

Completely relax your thighs and let your stomach muscles take the impact. It's super hard to explain, but I promise you'll feel it. :D

easyluckyfree 01-16-2010 10:38 PM

hahah, i'm already sore from todays lesson. trotted the whole time without the privilage of a break at all hahah, someone told me that i'm going to have more trouble because i ride Turtle and he's really a very un smooth, and he's fast. Is there any way to even explain it, because seriously, i have no idea what to do besides from what my trainer told me to, 'use my lower body and plant my but in the seat' which seems near impossible for me

Brighteyes 01-16-2010 10:41 PM

^^^

That's the real problem with sitting trot... It's not something that can be explained easily. You just have to learn to feel it. Again, you'll get it! :D It took me forever, but it just suddenly clicked.

anrz 01-16-2010 10:46 PM

One more thing: remember to not try to grip with your legs, as Brighteyes also said. You want to have your legs relaxed and engage your core to keep yourself in the saddle.

ridergirl23 01-16-2010 10:51 PM

oh! a trick i learned that helped me feel the horse is: close our eyes! only do it when your alone in the arena, and for short periods of time, maybe just down the longside or something. but i find it helps, haha

trailhorserider 01-17-2010 12:34 AM

I ride western, so maybe I shouldn't even say anything, lol, and I haven't a clue how to post, so all my trots are sitting. :lol: But I find that the trot is smoother if the horse is collected. So that helps make it easier to sit. :wink: