The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How to make WARM water (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-make-warm-water-45324/)

kitten_Val 01-17-2010 11:04 AM

How to make WARM water

I attach hose to the outside of the house. Meaning the water is REALLY cold. My horses hated it when I bathed them just because of that, so I started to fill a big plastic bucket with the cold water and then add couple of buckets with the hot water there. Then I used that nice warmish water to bath them. They like it, but it's very inconvenient for me. So I'm really wondering if someone has similar problem and how to deal with it.

Jillyann 01-17-2010 11:10 AM

We just got a bathroom put in in our barn, so we have hot water! and I love it! No more smashing out frozen water buckets!

Honeysuga 01-17-2010 11:12 AM

You could build a little campfire and warm it the old fashioned way...

MyBoyPuck 01-17-2010 11:27 AM

If you ride first, put the water in a black colored bucket, leave it in the sun while you ride. Warm water.

churumbeque 01-17-2010 11:32 AM

You can buy propane heaters that your hose attaches to just for this purpose. They are a bit pricey but if you wash regularly might be woth the investment.

Honeysuga 01-17-2010 11:43 AM

Ooooh, another way to do it would to get a few nice sized river rocks and place them in your oven before you go to ride. Wrap them in aluminum foil and a towel to keep them hot. When you fill the buckets with water, drop a few river rocks in with the water and it will warm it pretty good. Cheap ans rather quick!(sorry for the double post, I just remembered how I used to do it...)

MyBoyPuck 01-17-2010 11:49 AM

Never heard of the river rock thing. How long do those stay warm? Will they keep water from freezing over a 4 hour period?

churumbeque 01-17-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 524398)
Never heard of the river rock thing. How long do those stay warm? Will they keep water from freezing over a 4 hour period?

Did you know that warm water frezzes quicker than cold water? Not sure why but it is true.

mom2pride 01-17-2010 12:00 PM

If you have to bathe your horses when it's below 30 degrees, it's best to just sponge bathe them anyway, rather than soak them completely... I use warm buckets of water, as I don't have a way to get warm water out there either.

kitten_Val 01-17-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 524376)
If you ride first, put the water in a black colored bucket, leave it in the sun while you ride. Warm water.

I do something similar too. Just fill in morning and let it warm on sun. The problem is it doesn't warm much if the temperature is not very high (say, 70).

Bathroom and hot water in barn are not the options, because I don't have a "real" barn - just Amish-build run-in/stall combo. :)