The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   SmartPak?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/smartpak-4533/)

Eventer4545 11-29-2007 08:38 AM

SmartPak??

Just wondering what the consensus is on using Smart Paks?
My 11 year old ex-racer TB colliced and the vet suggested ulcer supps....well, the only way he'll take them is if i mix them with applesauce and SHOOT it down his mouth with a syringe..... 2x a day! (which is near impossible for me)

I checked online and saw that Smart Paks allow you to add ulcer supps...hmm......

i order his 6 weeks worth and just wanted to know if anyone had any advice or experience with Smart Paks that they could share with me.

Thx!

Vidaloco 11-29-2007 06:42 PM

I love Smartpak. I have a Scottie dog that I ran over with the truck a few months ago. She has some tissue/nerve damage and walks on 3 legs. I started her on Smartpak Recover. She seems to have a bit more use of the leg, although I know she will never completely heal I think it has helped her not have to have it removed. I love the big storage container they send and the fact that they will automaticly send them without me doing anything. They send an email every month letting me know its being shipped and giving me the option to cancel. The little premeasured "paks" are so handy too.

Got2Gallop 02-07-2008 12:42 AM

Although I haven't purchased my suppliments in the actual Smartpaks as yet, I love Smartpak and order from them all the time. Everything from suppliments by the bucket and a himalayan salt lick to my filly's weatherbeeta sheet. They've been fast and accurate and have decent prices!

upnover 02-07-2008 10:37 AM

I absolutely love smartpaks!

Like someone said, they're pre-measured daily portions in these little containers that they mail to you every month so you don't have to worry about reordering, measuring, carrying tubs of supps to shows, etc. It's fantastic for multiple horses, esp since they mail you a plastic labeled file cabinet to keep everyone's smartpaks separate.

However, if you're looking for an easier way to give your horse supplements, SmartPaks aren't going to do it! If your horse doesn't like the ulcer meds, you're going to be opening the great little pre-portioned containers.... and still adding applesauce to shoot down her throat. Unless you're asking about a different product that smartpak carries that may be more palatable?

Their shipping rate is the same base rate no matter how much you order and it comes quickly. AND, if you're horse is already getting supplements shipped to you, they can put a new order and mail it with your supps and save you shipping! AND, if you have other people at your barn who are wanting smartpaks they can do a 'barn buddy' shipping system where it doesn't cost you any more to ship. They're wonderful!

Feathers 02-08-2008 07:53 PM

I don't use the smartpaks myself but I do order from them. I think they are a good company and their shipping is very nice!! I've always had good service from them!!

buckaroo2010 02-08-2008 10:10 PM

:lol: :lol: I dont think I have ever heard of Smartpak before.

Vidaloco 02-09-2008 10:01 AM

They sell animal products. If you have a supplement you give your animal on a daily basis they have a system where they will seperate each dose by animal weight and put them in individual packets for easy dosing. They send you a large plastic file drawer type thing to keep it in with the animals name on it. Its pretty cool, they also sell it just regular if you don't want in divided, and they sell tack too. http://www.smartpakequine.com

buckaroo2010 02-09-2008 06:42 PM

Oh ok it see now yeah sounds like a good thing to me :)

ilovemydun 02-10-2008 08:26 PM

I use smartpaks. It's extremely helpful if you are in a boarding situation...making up baggies is such a hassel! If you WORK at a boarding stable...it's a godsend lol. You don't have to worry about accidentally mixing supplements if the owners don't put names on the baggies, or if you make up the baggies, you don't have to worry about overdosing or whatnot.

I also like that you can put your order on hold if need be.