The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Phobia of spreads ... (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/phobia-spreads-45361/)

AKHorseeGal 01-17-2010 04:24 PM

Phobia of spreads ...

Hey Guys,
Recently I've had some problems with jumping. I can jump roughly 2ft, but I can't do 1ft6 Spreads. :???:
It just feels so different cos when we land I get thrown onto her neck every time, even though I try to push back on her neck when I land. My friend tried putting the first part of the spread down so it was just a pole on the ground. But I still got thrown forward (although not so much). She's worried that I will get a phobia of them so she says I should try and do them. Is she right? I've only been riding 4 months or something but I rode when I was little too.
P.S. My Cousin (A very good rider) was thrown forward when doing a spread on my pony so maybe I'm right? Ok your call! :-)

equineeventer3390 01-17-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKHorseeGal (Post 524704)
Hey Guys,
Recently I've had some problems with jumping. I can jump roughly 2ft, but I can't do 1ft6 Spreads. :???:
It just feels so different cos when we land I get thrown onto her neck every time, even though I try to push back on her neck when I land. My friend tried putting the first part of the spread down so it was just a pole on the ground. But I still got thrown forward (although not so much). She's worried that I will get a phobia of them so she says I should try and do them. Is she right? I've only been riding 4 months or something but I rode when I was little too.
P.S. My Cousin (A very good rider) was thrown forward when doing a spread on my pony so maybe I'm right? Ok your call! :-)

If you've only been riding 4 months, just give it some time. I really don't notice a difference in spreads versus verticals. But having a pole on the ground for the first part of a spread is a little strange, some horses would get confused by that. Set up a very very low oxer. Put the jump cups in the first or second hole of the standard, and get the second set of standard as close to the first as possible. Make the spread as narrow as you can then slowly widen it once you get comfortable with that

AKHorseeGal 01-18-2010 02:43 AM

Ok, Thank you ..
I will try that (:

My2Geldings 01-18-2010 09:49 PM

Spreads should be easier to jump because it forces the horse to actually stretch out and give you something to jump over. If you are having troubles, I would work on the flat for a lot longer before going back to jumping. You'll have a much stronger base.

AKHorseeGal 01-19-2010 01:22 PM

Oh OK, You're probably right. I'll Do lots of cantering :D