The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western Show Halters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-show-halters-45515/)

Horsel02 01-19-2010 04:58 PM

Western Show Halters

Where can I get a decently priced western show halter. Because mine broke today when I was practising. I am not whining because this halter was given to me. I would have tried to get it fixed but it is an extremely light oil and the other leather on it before I got it was well taken care of.

The halter that broke is on my horse in my avatar picture.

Scoutrider 01-19-2010 07:37 PM

Rod's has some that are around $100. I bought the one of the Royal King brand in a yearling size for my large pony when I did more western showing, on sale down to $50, and it's seen me through several years of showing. Congress-cut halters tend to command a bit higher price, in my experience, but they do look nice on some of the really typey QH's and stock-bred paints/appies.

Silver Show Halters

Honeysuga 01-19-2010 08:55 PM

I have a cheap dark oil one, it is nothing too fancy. But it is in good shape and good for practice...

SunriseNorth 01-19-2010 09:50 PM

I know my local tack store sells them used for pretty good prices. I'd go used because most of them arent every really "beat up" or look second hand. They just need a little cleaning and some TLC and you'll have a show halter that looks like new in no time.

farmpony84 01-19-2010 09:54 PM

Try chicks or horse.com, I have one that was given to me, I think it's about 30 years old but it's been really well taken care of. It's not as fancy as the ones they use now but i always get so many complements on it because it's so unique. I love it.

Curly_Horse_CMT 01-20-2010 09:47 PM

Yeah, I found mine at a tack swap :-) It was just your average show halter with nice tooling on the bars and good leather. Nothing too fancy but it worked well for 4-H. Horse.com, horseclicks.com and sometimes even tacktrader.com will have reasonably priced ones. Good luck! :wink:

wlukes 01-22-2010 08:00 PM

I have a Nice Black Show halter. Nice Soft leather and Nice tooling on the Silver. I would take $55 shipped And its yours