The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   How can you tell if they're fake? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/how-can-you-tell-if-theyre-45554/)

whitetrashwarmblood 01-20-2010 12:34 AM

How can you tell if they're fake?

I've sold a few horses through the internet before, and I haven't had this problem until today. It's been a while since someone has messaged me about a mare I've been trying to sell via internet. I've lowered the price, but not because I want to get rid of her asap. I found a new site to put her ad on, it's free so why not? It's been on for like a day, and I get this message:

Dear Sir/Madam. I am interested in your horse.I am located at Caddo mills in Texas.I saw your advert placed online and i decided to contact you if the item is still available for sale.Kindly get back to me with the asking price as soon as you confirm the receipt of this message.Thanks for your expected Co-operation.

Now idk, but doesn't that sound kinda fishy?
Maybe it's just me...

Gidji 01-20-2010 12:40 AM

It sounds fishy to me! But reply to it anyway and ask for a phone number so you can discuss it with them over the phone. Sometimes people just don't sound right over the net, and its easier to tell if they are real or scammers over the phone.

smrobs 01-20-2010 12:57 AM

What worries me is that they called your horse an "item". That would send up huge red flags in my mind.

RoxanneElizabeth 01-20-2010 09:03 AM

that is a scam. Email them back and tell them know they are a scam and then report them to the site. I hate that!

ShutUpJoe 01-20-2010 10:26 AM

It's a scam.

whitetrashwarmblood 01-20-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 527216)
It's a scam.

You're right. I was curious to see what he would say if I messaged him back, so I only wrote "she's still for sale, and for $2800". He wrote back,

Thanks for all the email,i will like to know if shes really doing fine and well trained.I agreed with your selling price and i have decided to purchase the horse. But you will be getting payment inform of a cashier check in the amount of $7,000.

This amount will come to you in this form based on earlier order i made with a company here in the States which did not work out successfully due to delay in the shipping of the goods and other logistic and this has in turn incurred lot of demorrhage charges and it will be a lost for me if i still buy the product from them, so i asked them for refund and they are ready to pay me through a Cashier's check and i do not wish to argue with them because they said that is the best means they can use to pay me my money at this time.I know this might sound some how to you but i want you to be rest assured that you won't have any trouble cashing the check from your bank and all i want is the best and i hope we can set up friendship through this your sale as i still would love to contact and keep in touch with you even after the sale and i hope we can balance a good trust between ourselves.I would have loved to come down to look her up but i would be leaving for the United kingdom hopefully today or tomorrow and am hoping to be back to texas soon,so i wouldnt mind if you could send me some pictures so that i can see what am buying.

If you agree with the terms of payment, i will need you to forward your Name, Phone number and address to me so that the check can be made out to you as i i would not be able to cash a U.S check when i arrive in the U.K for my assignment and it will be faster for you to cash it so that we can conclude this transaction as soon as possible without delaying payment.

After you receive the check you are to deduct your own {$2,800} which is the amount for your horse and refund the balance {$4,200} to me via Western union money transfer, and once that is done, we will setup a date for inspection and pick-up and i will instruct shippers to come for pick-up at your designated location.

So confirm this and provide the info for payment to get to you.

So I turned him in.

smrobs 01-20-2010 03:46 PM

Good. That is how they do money order scams on the bank. By the time the bank noticed that the money order was counterfeit, you would have already cashed it and then you would be responsible for the difference (which you would have shipped to them along with your horse. :?

iridehorses 01-20-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 527447)
Good. That is how they do money order scams on the bank. By the time the bank noticed that the money order was counterfeit, you would have already cashed it and then you would be responsible for the difference (which you would have shipped to them along with your horse. :?

True but they don't want the horse, that is too much of a problem. You just never get contacted by a shipper.

I came close to doing this once. I just wanted to see how far it would go and how long it would take the bank to notice the counterfeit money order. Of course I would not have sent the "change" to them. I backed out the last moment thinking that I don't need the trouble.

AlmostThere 01-20-2010 04:17 PM

Man, the language of that e-mail is so stilted and some parts are just off. It sounds like they used language translating software - the better to scam you in many different countries, I guess.

upnover 01-21-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 527456)
I came close to doing this once. I just wanted to see how far it would go and how long it would take the bank to notice the counterfeit money order. Of course I would not have sent the "change" to them. I backed out the last moment thinking that I don't need the trouble.

Darn! I've been curious about that as well but don't want to risk it....

I've been contacted by so many scammers it's ridiculous. Any time wording/grammer is weird, any time they want to give you more money.... it's a scam.