The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   3' Jumpers Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/3-jumpers-critique-455642/)

xJumperx 07-28-2014 04:37 PM

3' Jumpers Critique

We're ba-ack! :lol:

This is Cowboy and I back at it, Child/Adult 3'-3'3" division.
Two rounds shown here, one from Day 1 and another from Day 2. Both rounds shown are my speed round, so I was trying to get around as quick as possible while being safe and leaving the rails up.
We got Champion for the division, with High Point for the division circuit. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic! :D Even with great results, I know there is always something to be improved. Give me all you've got, be as harsh as you feel necessary!

We've currently been working on being able to adjust his pace a lot, so that I can collect him for the tight turns and push him on for the long gallops, so hopefully that shows. He has a Waterford Loose Ring Snaffle in his mouth, per request of you guys and my trainer ;) He seems to really like it, much better than he did the slow twist he had before. As for any other artificial aids, I use none. Recommendations for using martingales or other gizmos will not be acknowledged, for I believe training is the best aid to use :)

Without further ado, our video!
Thanks in advance! :D

Corazon Lock 07-28-2014 06:34 PM

Wow, you guys have really improved since the last video I watched! You had great strides to jump and looked really good!! I don't have anything to critique really, as I'm not experienced enough to point out anything other than the glaringly obvious. ;-)

updownrider 07-28-2014 09:59 PM

A lot of improvement from the last videos! Hardly surprising since there is always improvemment with you two :-) That is why it is always fun to watch your videos. Congrats on being Champion.
One recommendation I can make is raise your hands in the turns. It will balance Cowboy a little better by getting him off his forehand, and help a lot if there is a jump off a shorter turn.

tinyliny 07-28-2014 10:12 PM

SWEEEEEET! you both look like a TEAM. very nice horse, very nice riding.

Siren 07-29-2014 12:41 AM

Very nice. Cowboy looks very content and soft for the most part though he gets a bit resistant at times. He counterbends sometimes and gets a bit racey. To combat this, sit up between fences! Really ride. Really make him take notice of that inside leg and outside rein. Sitting tall between fences will really help emphasize this and communicate how you want him to balance through the flat parts of the course.

Congrats on the great show result and the great improvement though! Always nice to see so much improvement.
Posted via Mobile Device

updownrider 07-29-2014 11:48 AM

A good rider to watch with a beautiful position and hands is Beezie Madden on Cortes 'C'. She keeps this big horse off his front end around all of the turns.
This video is long(ish)- 2 rounds + a jumpoff and some slow motion at the end.

xJumperx 07-29-2014 11:58 AM

Thank you all for your lovely comments!! :D It's so motivating to post a video and have so many great responses. I'm so glad you all are seeing improvement, it really means a lot.
One of my big flaws are my hands, I'm terrible about wanting to leave them down by his withers. I'll try to remind myself to get my hands UP.
I love what Siren said about really RIDING through the turns. The counterbending was something I noticed, and couldn't manage to combat. I'll remember to really use my inside leg. Thank you!

Thank you updownrider for the video, that's something I'll definitely reference to.

baysalways 08-05-2014 02:02 PM

I think that you guys rode great! I would agree with everyone else about your hands picking them up a little and guiding him thru the turns instead of pulling him thru them. But great job and congrats!

Golden Horse 08-05-2014 02:21 PM

Nice looking rounds, congrats.

xJumperx 08-05-2014 03:09 PM

Thank you all very much :D
In my lesson last night, we really focused on what is between each of the jumps, working on getting him back into my hands, and focused on collecting and keeping him bent around the turns. It was really helpful, but we definitely picked up on that being a troublesome area. We have another show in September, I'll be back for more feedback then! :lol: If anyone else has comments, PLEASE add! I'm always looking to improve!