The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   I'm at fault, critique me! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/im-fault-critique-me-4564/)

Lorry1 12-01-2007 03:22 PM

I'm at fault, critique me!

I went for the 5th riding lesson today. I wanted to ride English to compare with Western. I really liked the feel; however I was very nervous (and the horse, Fancy, could tell). She's a half Arabian and half Palomino. She is known to be fiesty when the wind is blowing. Well the wind was blowing and it was about 19° F in the barn (huge). She started getting jumpy and kept taking off with out me telling her to. When she did it one time I screamed (not good, I know, but I can't help it). When I screamed, I tensed my legs and she wanted to go even more. I got off her early because I just wasn't handling her right and it has kind of made me skeptical about whether I should get a horse or not. Our barn and land is ready, it's just waiting for the horse, goat, and fence. I fear I won't overcome this fear when they fear as well as controlling myself NOT to scream. I welcome your comments/quitiques. Thanks:)

moomoo 12-02-2007 03:49 PM

well doe for not giving up after the first bolt :) you arent at fault, just get a relaxed horse, arabs are quite spooky anyway (you should have seen misty when we got her!) :shock: get a more relaxed horse as your first horse ?

jazzyrider 12-02-2007 04:29 PM

i totally agree ^^

arabs are not for beginners and you shouldnt be expected to ride one confidently. its like putting a learner driver behind the wheel of a souped up race car...recipe for disaster.

apart from her breed and the fact that she is half arab, your nerves would have added to the situation. after only five lessons you should be riding an nice, quiet old fella. whether you are picking it up well or not, at that point no one has the experience to deal with things that happen. the first horse/s that you ride need to be confidence horses...ones that can detect and deal with your faults making the whole experience more upbuilding for you.

dont let this experience slow you down though. these things happen and im sure some time throughout your riding life, it will happen again but i would hope it doesnt happen again until you have the experience under your belt to deal with it :) you really need to talk to your instructor as well and explain how you are feeling and that you would like to continue but you need a quieter horse. IMO its a little irresponsible of your instructor to allow a new rider to ride a horse like that.

never doubt whether or not you should get a horse just make sure you choose one that is best suited for you and where you are at with your riding :) good luck and i hope to hear you have hopped back in the saddle again soon ;)

mell 12-02-2007 06:13 PM

guys not all arabs are like that. i had an egyptian arab as my first horse and he was the quietest horse i've had. but i do agree that Lorry1 needs a calmer horse

jazzyrider 12-02-2007 10:06 PM

no not all are. i had one who was a gentleman but still what i would call a little too unpredictable for a beginner. there are more sensible breeds that would be more suitable

moomoo 12-03-2007 12:18 PM

i know that not all are ;) misty is half arab and she WAS a nutcase when we got her hehe now she is my ickle donkey :D :lol:

suenosderosas 12-03-2007 12:48 PM

I think the generalization that all Arabs are nut cases and shouldn't be used for beginners downright stupid. :roll: I ride and show arabs on a national level and have met plenty that are complete packers and are wonderful kids horses. Not to mention I also run a lesson program using mainly arabians.

Does this look like a nut case to you?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...d/PB300742.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...d/aea1a678.jpg

Btw, I started riding him when I was 4 and he was 4 also. He taught countless numbers of kids to ride and won kids countless championships.

Generalizations = no fun. :wink:

Lorry1 12-03-2007 02:56 PM

I'm at fault, critique me!

Thanks for the comments.

Actually, this half Arab. is usually pretty good, except in windy weather. But since I had this experience with her, I think I may be better off on a older horse myself. I'll be 50 in May and think maybe I should have an older horse when I get one because right now the spunky ones make me nervous. I wish I could have done this when I was much younger, but wasn't able to get a horse until now. I don't want to give up though, because I do want a horse so bad.

jazzyrider 12-03-2007 05:45 PM

no need whatsoever for narkiness or protectiveness over a certain breed. i personally love arabs but MOST of them i would not put a beginner one whether for the most part they were quiet or not. lets face it, arabs are hot horses plain and simple. if you get a good one, great but its not the norm.

i did say not all are bad but there is a bigger picture than posting a pic of one horse asking if it looked nuts. there are many more than just one arab in the world :roll: generalisations for safety reasons, especially for beginners, can be good things.

however, you are allowed your opinion as am i but it doesnt change the fact that for the most part, arabs are not beginner horses. you can argue the point as much as you want but in the 25 years ive spent with horses, ive come across maybe 3 arabs that i might think about considering putting a beginner on. while everyone is busy defending arabs, the original topic is being neglected so how about we get back to what the topic involves rather than picking out something you dont like that is completely off topic and rolling with that.

barnrat 12-05-2007 01:50 AM

Quote:

She is known to be feisty when the wind is blowing. Well the wind was blowing and it was about 19° F in the barn (huge). She started getting jumpy and kept taking off with out me telling her to. When she did it one time I screamed (not good, I know, but I can't help it). When I screamed, I tensed my legs and she wanted to go even more.
most horses are feisty when the wind is blowing. NOT JUST ARABS! Also, It seems to me that most of what went on was the riders fault as she already knows. At our barn we have 5 Arabs that are for schooling. Only one thats not and thats because she is lame. Arabians are just as good as any other horse.

As for your first horse...You should try getting one that has had its years put into it. You can buy a horse thats like 18 to 22 for only like $400 where I'm at that is bomb proof and carries little kids around. You dont need a 5-10 year old horse for your first horse when your still learning yourself. I'm assuming? sounded like it when this was your first bolt. Not sure though.....