The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I can't sleep! I need sleep! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-cant-sleep-i-need-sleep-45674/)

drafts4ever 01-21-2010 10:56 AM

I can't sleep! I need sleep!

For the last three nights I've woken up at 1am and haven't been able to fall back asleep until between 7-10am! My head hurts and I have class in 3 hours.

This absolutely sucks.
I drank hot milk which normally knocks me out but it didn't
I did breathing exercises
Flexed and relaxed every muscle in my body
read a book
Listened to my boyfriends heart beat with his arm around me

None of my normal falling asleep methods worked at all. I'm yawning, I'm tired, my eyes won't stay closed at all though! I can't ask the doctor for any sleeping medication because of the negative reactions I've had to sleeping pills in the past. When I was about 10 and again at 15 I had the same deal and I was put on 5 different meds and each time I either had an allergic reaction, got dehydrated, threw up, or was dizzy. I don't remember how or what we did to get my to fall asleep.

This sucks!!!! grrr and after class I really do need to work Caleigh, it's an hour drive without traffic to my training class and the same back plus 20 minutes to get to the barn! :shock::evil: I'm not happy. I have no idea why I can't sleep!

sillybunny11486 01-21-2010 11:18 AM

try melatonin

FGRanch 01-21-2010 11:33 AM

Okay I have had the same problem for years, I still don't have it fully under control but I am able to cope a little bit better using these methods.

Excersice HARD before bed and the have a HOT shower (if the shower wakes you up skip that until morning)
If you are able to excersice outside do that, if not take a quick walk before your work out.
Do something absolutly mindless after excersice and RIGHT before bed, for me I find ready a REALLY borning book or playing guitar hero really helps. Just something that clears your head and doesn't have you thinking about much of anything.

I hope you start to get some more sleep :( It's no fun being tired.

Vidaloco 01-21-2010 11:46 AM

I have the same problem. I get what I call night terrors. I'll start worrying about everything under the sun...or moon :lol: Things that in the light of day aren't important at all.
I play a name game. Start with the letter A, think of famous people whose first name starts and ends with A, then B etc.
example:
Allen Alda
Ben Affleck
Christopher Atkins
etc.

You can use any letter, it doesn't matter. It's worked for me for years.

JustDressageIt 01-21-2010 12:04 PM

Lol Vida that would be a very short game for me -- I am terrible with actors' names!

I second the melatonin - it worked wonders for me. Make sure you read the bottle, as most melatonin pills are dissolved under the tongue.
What I really recommend is getting into a nighttime routine, one that makes your body think "sleep." Do things in a certain order, and keep them that way for a few weeks. For example: I want to get to sleep by 10:30 pm. At 10, I stop whatever I was doing, and start my "bedtime routine." First, I drink a mug of warm milk, then I go use the washroom, then I wash my face, then I brush my teeth, then I go fill up my water bottle and bring it back to bed with me. Then I make sure my alarm is set, then I dissolve the melatonin under my tongue, and start reading a book.
This routine can be anything, but just have it as a set routine that you do before bed each night, so doing that set of things in that order makes your body think 'sleep.'

Good luck! I hate having bouts of insomnia.

drafts4ever 01-21-2010 12:37 PM

My mom suggested Melatonin too and said she'd pick me up some later today. I still haven't slept yet but I have that heavy eyelid feeling that I really hope would just weigh them down.
I do have a bedtime routine, it keeps me pretty low key for 2 hours before bed and 90% of the time it works. Anything using energy just gives me more energy, we tried it when I was younger. I don't remember but my mom says I ran around the house for a couple hours before I showed signs of slowing. I called my poor mom at 8:30 and woke her up. We traced back to when I had sleeping issues before and it all stemmed from anxiety or nervousness or excitement of some kind. Since my first real class with my trainer would be today we think although I'm not feeling any of the above my subconscious is and therefor I can't sleep. lucky for me she has a very flexible schedule and said it's fine and she's had the same issues before. I hate missing it though!

My mom said in elementary I was just fine but in middle school I wouldn't sleep for a couple nights before the first day of school and during mid season around major tests I would wake up around 1 and stay up complaining. In highschool, the first year my grandpa died and I dropped that year because of extreme emotional stress, lack of sleep, and a number of other body issues beyond my control that ended up with me in the hospital (all related to his death), 10th-12 I was fine and then recently last year at the beginning of a new job I couldn't sleep again, I was excited and I knew that.

My instructor has given me a lesson plan of what we would have gone over today and an online test to take to move me onto the next session. It's all in my course book and her reviewing with me is to get it all into my head and answer questions.

I'm still tired as hell. Hopefully talking about it here helped get some of it out of my subconscious and maybe I'll be able to sleep. grrrrr....

I think I'll add melatonin to my bedtime routine and see if that helps and sorry for the novel

My2Geldings 01-21-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 528182)
Okay I have had the same problem for years, I still don't have it fully under control but I am able to cope a little bit better using these methods.

Excersice HARD before bed and the have a HOT shower (if the shower wakes you up skip that until morning)
If you are able to excersice outside do that, if not take a quick walk before your work out.
Do something absolutly mindless after excersice and RIGHT before bed, for me I find ready a REALLY borning book or playing guitar hero really helps. Just something that clears your head and doesn't have you thinking about much of anything.

I hope you start to get some more sleep :( It's no fun being tired.

That is my solution when I can't sleep. Go out for a run, go do some excercise and tire your body out. This is a big issue if you're in good shape and will have that problem every night. Your body needs and craves that physical exercise.

Great for stress management as well.

JustDressageIt 01-21-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drafts4ever (Post 528250)
Anything using energy just gives me more energy, we tried it when I was younger. I don't remember but my mom says I ran around the house for a couple hours before I showed signs of slowing.

I hear you about this one.. if I exercise before bed, I can't sleep haha it just gets me revved up!!

Walkamile 01-21-2010 09:05 PM

I didn't sleep for an entire summer (not kidding). Maybe a half hour a night, but that was it. Went to a clinic for women. Long story short, melatonin and magnesium about 2 hours before bed, empty stomach. Slept the first time like the dead. And not woozy in the morning.

I still suffer from bouts of insomnia, but now have this to help. Many times, my mind will not shut down for a variety of reasons. I'm also very affected by the moon. (must have been a werewolf in a previous life!)

Good luck to you, it can sure suck!

lacyloo 01-21-2010 09:05 PM

I'm no help but I have insomnia so I know how you feel. I can go days without slowing down and finally ill just crash. The doctors started me on ambien and it worked for the first night... Now its NOT working at all.

I hope you can get some sleep !