The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   If you have a mutt for a horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/if-you-have-mutt-horse-45684/)

JumpingTheMoon 01-21-2010 01:33 PM

If you have a mutt for a horse...

Ok stupid question (trying to avoid stressing about the show this weekend).

If you have a mutt for a horse, what breed do you call him?

For example, Buzz is a papered mutt. His sire is the dressage great Rolls Royce, a huge lineage of Westphaliens. His dam is a registered AQHA and goes back to King bred lines. My One And Only Dutch Warmblood

But he's got a COP for KWPN because Rolls Royce was a KWPN approved stallion. So people call him a Dutch Warmblood, but he's not really LOL he's a Westphalien/QH cross. Clear as mud?

So weird. Anyone else got similar stories? What breed do you call your horse? I stick with the uncomplicated DW cross.

smrobs 01-21-2010 01:47 PM

Wow, none of mine are quiet so complex. About the biggest mutts I have are a breed their own (mustangs) but other than that, the only cross that I have is a QHxBelgian that could never be registered. Good luck keeping all that straight and he sounds lovely.

JumpingTheMoon 01-21-2010 01:53 PM

He is - he's gorgeous. At least to me he is LMAO!

You can't ride papers though right?

Is Rafe the QH/Belgian cross? (I hope I got the name right) the foal your mare had?

smrobs 01-21-2010 02:22 PM

Yes, Ma'am. That's him. And I kinda live by that credo that you can't ride papers. I only have 3 horses of my 12 that are registered. LOL

dee 01-21-2010 02:57 PM

My mare is a breed all unto herself - I call her a PITA! We have no idea what she is. We can only guess. I understand she can be registered as a buckskin with the ABA, but they are just a color registery for all intents and purposes.

gypsygirl 01-21-2010 02:57 PM

i have a mutt horse !

i have no idea what breed he is, what his true age is, or who his parents were. i call him a grade, many people try to call him a paint, bc he is a pinto, but i dont because who knows if hes really a paint or not. =]

Jake and Dai 01-21-2010 03:00 PM

I have a belgian cross-with-what-I-don't-know...but if you look at my avatar you can clearly see the belgian in him.

My mare I just call a pinto. Not a breed I know but I haven't a clue what she is. Some have suggested spotted draft cross because she's big boned but I just can't seem to call her that because I'm really not sure.

JumpingTheMoon 01-21-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee (Post 528348)
My mare is a breed all unto herself - I call her a PITA!

I think I have one or two of that breed myself!:lol:

HollyLolly 01-21-2010 04:57 PM

I call my horse a Gypsy Vanner (Gypsy Cob if you're english lol), but that's only because that's the only breed that fits her criteria LOL :lol: in england any mixes of breeds tend to be refered to as a cob, but it's a very loose term to be honest. Lucky is from a rescue centre so I don't know her breed, her real birthday or where she was born, so she's a my little mystery horse, just makes her more interesting haha!

JumpingTheMoon 01-21-2010 05:14 PM

Mystery horses are the best kind I reckon.