The Horse Forum banner

All time Favorites???

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GodGirl11 
#1 ·
Seeing as this is the "Famous Horses" forum, I figured it couldn't hurt to start a thread about everyone's top 5 all time favorite famous horses. There are no restrictions; they can be fictional, or have been real life...:D And you don't have to number them 'numerically', meaning, 1, is your top...just your 5 favorites :-p And maybe a reason or two why...

I will start off...

Ruffian; Arguably she was one of the most reknowned fillies of all time, in the racehorse world...I've met people who don't even follow horseracing, but DO know Ruffian, her fame, and her tragic end. I think the thing that draws me to her was her extreme beauty, and the fact that she was never touched, or challenged by another horse...even in her race with Foolish Pleasure, she had been drawing away. Would she have won? No one will ever know for sure, but I think she would have...she was the 70's version of Zenyatta...she simply wouldn't lose.

Phar Lap...Who can argue with a record of 37-51? Phar Lap was a great horse, with an enormous closing run. He ran almost exclusively in Australia, until he was shipped to America to run in his only American race, the Aqua Caliente, which he won. He died shortly after; it was always suspected that he'd been poisoned, but that was not officially found out till 60 odd years later.

Zenyatta...11-11, with two different Breeder's Cup wins, including the Classic this year. Alot of people argue that she still has something to prove because she never raced outside of CA much, and yet, she won the Classic this year against the top horses of the year (minus Racheal Alexandra), with ease, coming from more than a dozen lengths from behind...I don't think you can get better than that. She has a perfect record. I don't think it matters that she hasn't equaled or set track records; I don't think she would let anything be infront of her at the finish line either way...she just gets better the longer the race.

Hollywood Dunit...Beauty, brains, athleticism, a phenominal show record; AND he stamped all of that onto his babies. I would love to own one of his babies, or a grandbaby.

Fame VF...Again, a stallion who had extreme beauty, a show record, athleticism, and stamped it all on his babies. If I ever spend a lot of money on an Arabian baby, it would be on one who had Fame bloodlines. I want it to be bay, too.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry. This is why these five are my favs.

Ruffian- She had a heart like a locamotive and refused to quit, even when It killed her.

Man O' War- He was absolutly phenominal.

Secretariet- nothing to say that has not already been said about him.

Impressive- I know there are a lot of people who don't care for Impressive blood, but as far as I'm conserned, there isn't anything that can kick butt in a show ring better than an Impressive bred.

The Black- Okay, so maybe I'm little bit childish, but the Black has always been my favorite fictional horse, no contest.

#7 ·
I couldn't help it--I had to do 6 :)
(6. Aurthur (Allison Springer's horse)
(5. Headley Britannia
(4. Theodore O'Connor (RIP, big guy!)
(3. Big Brown
(2. Eight Belles (rest in peace, baby girl)
(1. Moorland Totilas--I practically drool every time I watch him perform ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.