The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   horse with potential grain allergy - need suggestions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-potential-grain-allergy-need-suggestions-45730/)

sehrlieb 01-21-2010 07:58 PM

horse with potential grain allergy - need suggestions

I have a 3 yr old arabian gelding who has some mysterious mouth sores/blisters. So far my vet and I have been unable to find their cause and want to rule out that it might be a reaction to his grain.

He currently gets 3quarts 2x a day of Blue Seal Strider (a 12% pelleted grain). I'm not sure what that would be in pounds - its a full scoop with your average 3qt scoop.

Anywho, Im curious as to what I might feed in place of the grain. He gets good quality timothy hay in the evenings, but during the day he just gets turned out with access to not-so-great quality round bales. I'd also like to be able to give him something just to keep him happy while the other horses in the barn are fed their grain.

Would something like afalfa cubes and an all around vitamin/mineral supplement be a good idea? I'm a little scared of pulling him off his grain and having him lose weight - he looks great right now.

any and all ideas and suggestions are very welcome :-)

vivache 01-21-2010 08:17 PM

Could there be foxtail in the round bales?

sehrlieb 01-21-2010 09:01 PM

I have examined all his hay, round bales included, and found nothing that would cause any mouth irritations. We had thought the sores looked like they might be caused by imbedded plant material at first but there is nothing in the hay he is eating or in his pasture for that matter. Also, he has had the "sores" for quite some time now (since beginning of last summer) so anything imbedded would probably have worked its way out or gotten infected by now or something would have changed I would think.

wild_spot 01-21-2010 09:17 PM

Alfalfa cubes and Beet-pulp are great bulk/filler feeds, which also supply some protein and energy.

For a higher energy feed, you can try things like Copra (coconut meal) Rice Bran, Lupins, Soybean hulls, Oils, etc. There are quite a few pelleted feeds coming out now in AUS that are grain-free and based on things like lupins, rice bran, soybean meal, etc. but fortified with vit/min. I'm sure there would be similar products n the US. I do know of one, ReLeve - Google it and have a look.

starlinestables 01-21-2010 10:37 PM

I'm with wild spot.... apparently the aussie's have gone through some pretty bad droughts and have come up with some interesting feed alternatives.

wild_spot 01-21-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

apparently the aussie's have gone through some pretty bad droughts

Just one really long one :]

sehrlieb 01-21-2010 11:04 PM

thanks I will definitly look into that

kevinshorses 01-21-2010 11:47 PM

If he gets fed enough good quality hay and he can't maintain his wieght you have more problems than you know. Has your vet has ruled out hoof and mouth disease?

dressagebelle 01-22-2010 12:12 AM

With the exception of a few horses, such as those in heavy competition, growing babies, and geriatric horses, most horses should be getting enough nutrition out of their hay to be able to stay healthy, and keep up their weight. I would be more concerned about the boredom, or getting upset when everyone else gets something and he doesn't than I would about his weight. If you are that concerned, see if you can feed him a bit more hay, and maybe some ricebran, and hay pellets, or maybe beet pulp.

wild_spot 01-22-2010 01:04 AM

^ I agree, but don't forget a good vit/min supplement or block. Hay/pasture alone can't provide all the essential nutrients.