The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

He Jumped! He Jumped!!

6K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  trIplEcrOwngIrl 
#1 ·
Yay!! I am sooo excited! My gelding JUMPED! He has not done this for me in the past and I do not beleive he has ever jumped in his life. I'm gonna start working on his form as he just sorta popped over it but, oh well, at least he got over! I think this will be really good for him as I don't get to work him often but he really needs it as, lets face, he's FAT. So what should I do next, I just sorta proped up a fallen branch on chair so it was only about 6 in. max but I think i'm gonna gen some bettter jumps. Do you guys have any suggestions for patterns or anything? I just scratched his withers and told him he was a good boy, is that enough? I'm soo excited!! :D

tcg

#5 ·
^ yeah you dont want to put him off when he has just started.

have fun with him but dont over work him, start off with a grid of two small jumps and then maybe three, with varied striding (maybe one stride then two) and see how he sorts out his strides!

#6 ·
Hehe, thats what I thought when I set up a jump in the arena when I turned my horse out, just to see if she had any inclination to jump it, and what she looked like. Then she decided to jump out of her stall the next night. :( But at least I know she can jump lol. She's only 4, and hasn't done much. And the jump in the arena really wasn't big at all but I guess she wanted more. They are so cute when they first start jumping. Honestly, if you haven't, I would start with trot poles first, in a grid like pattern, and then move up to canter poles, then start adding in some small jumps, just to help him learn to pace himself, and you to count his strides, and help him come up to a fence right. Keep us updated on how he's doing.

#13 ·
#15 ·
#36 ·
Too cute :)

Wood is preferable. Generic PVC can shatter if he steps on it by accident, and you don't want to deal with injuries caused by that. I believe there is a type of PVC that is a bit tougher, but I can't remember it to save my life at the moment. With wood, there is no worrying about that at any rate :)

#20 ·
He is adorable! Well done on jumping him! It's a great feeling when you take a horse over his/her first jump...

It's very important to take it real slowly, so you don't scare him away or injure him. Start with small cross poles, work on trotting poles to get his striding right, and canter poles. Then when he is going nicely, try some grid work. Don't make the sessions too long though, it can be quite strenuous on a horse that hasn't jumped before.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :wink:

#22 ·
I agree with this.

It can be fun for a horse to jump, especially when they never have before. But what happens alot of the time is people have so much fun jumping, they start doing it too often and a horse will get sour to jumping and not enjoy it at all. Of course I'm not saying YOU do that, I'm just saying in general that happens alot. :lol:

He's a cute little guy!

#24 ·
I jumped him again yesterday, he litterally was flying over them! I made a cross rail with two wood poled and 2 buckets and he loved it! I also put a pvc pipe before the jump to help him with his strides. If orgot to get pictures without me in them though :(

#27 ·
congrats. i still have to wait abit till my mini is old enough to jump :\ but i do it about 1 time every 4 months? and he loves it!! so CONGRATS. i hope you have lots of fun! and also, are you going to do shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.