The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Good video (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/good-video-45781/)

RiosDad 01-22-2010 11:04 AM

Good video
 
There is a good video on this link of another part of the forum that is worth watching.
The guy is direct reining with a curb and adding response with a spur.

http://www.horseforum.com/western-ri...ns-help-45461/

chasin the dream 01-22-2010 08:57 PM

I wasn't too crazy about the way he was doing it. All people have different opinions on things like that. I would prefer to not bump a horse so hard. Now that horse was quiet and not super sensitive. If I tried to get my horse to move off my leg by bumping him like that hed come right out from under me. I think if he just squeezed a little more with his spur instead of bump his horse it would have been better. That worked fine on that horse. If your teaching a super sensitive horse it won;t work out like that. Trust me. I tried. I would even roll my spur into him a TINY bit rather than bump him like that. i think he was over exaggerating to show what he was saying however.

The second thing I didn't like was how he was reining. With a shanked bit I don't think you should move your hand down and out. I personally would pull more in and up towards the opposite ear. I will try to find a video to show what I am saying. Your horse will give his head and tip his nose this way. Also, while he was reining out like that I was thinking he should move his opposite rein up the horses neck to neck rein. That way you are also teaching basic neck reining. With a shanked bit he's not really getting much leverage by using his hand all the way out to the side like that. pulling in and up is getting more of what you want. Tipping his nose and catching his head where you want it.

What I said sounds confusing but i'll show a video to let you see what I mean about the way he reined.

RiosDad 01-22-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasin the dream (Post 529949)
.

The second thing I didn't like was how he was reining. With a shanked bit I don't think you should move your hand down and out. .

I do rein like he does. Out and down. I also bump like he does so to me I liked the way he worked the horse.
I guess each to his own.
I also wanted to show how you can direst rein with a curb IF the mouth piece is jointed

chasin the dream 01-22-2010 09:14 PM


hopefully you can see this video :/

Ok well if you can, I wanted to show you how first he gets the filly up and in. Thats what I mean. See how he's got a good hold on her head. He doesn't BUMP her if she doesn't listen to a squeeze. First, he rolls his spur into her rib. Not much but enough to show he's there and she needs to move off of it. Be doesn't just automatically jab it into her side. I like how he gives her more time to think about it. Imo, her turns are a lot nicer than the one in the other video. Obviously she needed some tuning to get her mind spinning but after she got it she had nice turns. She "swooped".

chasin the dream 01-22-2010 09:19 PM

Everyone has different opinions. If the way you are doing it works with your horse, thats great. I know that video isn't necessarily trying to do the same thing as the other one but I was pointing out more of how he gets her head. She did a few really nice turns. Or half turns I should say. But everyone trains different. This is just the way I was taught. I also liked how he moved his rein up the fillys neck to neck rein her.


Like I said, everyone thinks differently. If it works on your horse thats wonderful. Just showing you a few different ways. Plus, a big part is always your horse.

RiosDad 01-22-2010 09:29 PM

Thank you Chasin the Dream. I enjoyed that video but I found allot to be the same. Both bumped the horse with a spur, both direct reined by moving the hand out and again bumping the bit.

Most posters here don't agree with spurs in the first place. Alot say you can't direct rein with a curb. Both of these things are shown in both video's.

Again I found both guys handled the horse the same way. Bumping both the spur and the bit.
Again thank you

chasin the dream 01-22-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiosDad (Post 529995)
Thank you Chasin the Dream. I enjoyed that video but I found allot to be the same. Both bumped the horse with a spur, both direct reined by moving the hand out and again bumping the bit.

Most posters here don't agree with spurs in the first place. Alot say you can't direct rein with a curb. Both of these things are shown in both video's.

Again I found both guys handled the horse the same way. Bumping both the spur and the bit.
Again thank you


In the video I posted he did direct rein. However, he moved the rein more up the horses neck. When the horse wasn't listening at all he did bump her with the spur. In the first video he went directly to bumping her hard. In the second one, he rolled on her a bit before really bumping her. I find that there is big differences where and how you place your hands. I can be picky about where I place my hands. I see quite a difference in how they work their hands. I find the second video a little more effective.

Alot of people don't agree with spurs. I totally agree with you. I think your video WAS very good but the second one sort of stepped up a level. Being more specific about when and where to place hands,feet, ect.

With the bit part, I agree. I feel like I can't explain on here. Yes, direct reining is direct reining. What he did looked more to me like an attempted neck rein. Like a mix of both.

chasin the dream 01-22-2010 09:41 PM

It's all about what you personally think though. Its a forum, just stating my opinion. Are you teaching your horse that? Or just saying it was a good video. I am just curious. :)

RiosDad 01-22-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasin the dream (Post 530013)
It's all about what you personally think though. Its a forum, just stating my opinion. Are you teaching your horse that? Or just saying it was a good video. I am just curious. :)

I train endurance horses. Trail horses but I want a horse extremely agile, quick. light on his feet and one that turns correctly.
I do work on roll backs, good stops without contact, quick agile side passing.
I don't want one that needs me to ride just to keep him going. I want a goer but one I can forget about and just ride, think about other things, fearless and obedient to my every wish.
I ride with my legs, my seat and the weight of the rein and only resort to direct rein and spurs if the horse misses the first cue.

I did reining years ago as I did jumping. To me the reining now is more important and again my horse must be agile and quick to respond to the slightest input.
The video was to show the use of the curb, the spur and the term bumping.
Agian I like to direct rein with my hands low and to the outside, not high and inside.

chasin the dream 01-22-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiosDad (Post 530047)
I train endurance horses. Trail horses but I want a horse extremely agile, quick. light on his feet and one that turns correctly.
I do work on roll backs, good stops without contact, quick agile side passing.
I don't want one that needs me to ride just to keep him going. I want a goer but one I can forget about and just ride, think about other things, fearless and obedient to my every wish.
I ride with my legs, my seat and the weight of the rein and only resort to direct rein and spurs if the horse misses the first cue.

I did reining years ago as I did jumping. To me the reining now is more important and again my horse must be agile and quick to respond to the slightest input.
The video was to show the use of the curb, the spur and the term bumping.
Agian I like to direct rein with my hands low and to the outside, not high and inside.

Okay :) I guess we are looking for different things. It is different in different "sports" I guess. It depends on what your training for. I do cutting. So I DO want horses to be low headed and to give their head in a different way than you would. We just want different things! I don't think theres anything wrong with either way. Just a matter of what your trying to accomplish! I didn't know you were training for endurance. I thought you just wanted to get your horses head and spin low headed.

Wish you all the best luck in training :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0