The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Small Saddle Problem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/small-saddle-problem-45786/)

Java Bean 01-22-2010 12:47 PM

Small Saddle Problem

1 Attachment(s)
The problem is small, not the saddle. Actually, the saddle is quite large which there in lies the problem!

I currently have a big, bulky, leather western saddle. I don't like carrying it around, it's to heavy for my physical strenght, and it's very hard and uncomfortable. Up until now, I didn't want to part with it for sentimental reasons but now I'm fed up with it.

So my question is, I found a saddle I really like the look of but is it a good deal? I have no clue about the quality of these things but I think a lot of you know so much about this. And should I go synthetic? I want a light saddle but don't know if this would be a waste of money and not last long because I have very little knowledge on synthetic saddles and have heard mixed reviews. Thanks so much, if you can't read the words in the description I'll post them here. Also, if I have to I'll pay more but I like the price of this saddle. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Take care

Here it is:

churumbeque 01-22-2010 01:23 PM

I would try one out before you buy it. I had an aussie saddle and I sat way high up on the horse. Didn't like it at all

kevinshorses 01-22-2010 02:07 PM

Don't buy a cheap saddle!! Any saddle that is $250 is junk in my opinion. I haven't seen this particular saddle but I have seen enough saddles that people got a "deal" on that were awful saddles. You generally get what you pay for when you buy saddles.

Jillyann 01-22-2010 02:12 PM

If you want a light weight, easy to clean, good price synthetic saddle, I would look at Abetta, on horseloverz.com .

Thats where I got my western Abetta, and I LOVE It.

Java Bean 01-22-2010 02:18 PM

Hey, thanks for your replies! I was hoping to be able to keep my budget small without scrimping on quality. I forgot to mention I'll be using it only every second or third weekend it that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?

Tack Collector 01-22-2010 02:52 PM

For synthetic westerns, Big Horn before they were bought by Amierican (not sure about after) & Fabtron have reputations as better fitting trees than Abetta and Wnitec.

monsterofastorm 04-21-2011 11:14 PM

I ride western every now and then and I love my Abetta. It is a synthetic and I throw it around and give it the worst spot in the tack roomand it sill has held up great and I got it used! It is very versatile with diffrent horses and extrmley light. My friend got an Aussie and hated it, it didnt fit any of the horses and gave her horrible posture.

smrobs 04-21-2011 11:18 PM

I don't know much about synthetic saddles but if you were looking for a decent leather saddle that didn't weigh as much as you do, you might look at used trail or barrel saddles.

somoni 04-22-2011 12:00 AM

i have a all purpose saddle but it's cowhide leather. just bought it a couple of months ago. seldom use it. it doest seems like fit my horse very well.
if anyone one need it, just contact me via tim2007yes@ gmail.com,
you may bargain. haha.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5041/...86454c5b_m.jpg

luvs2ride1979 04-22-2011 01:10 AM

I have had great luck fitting Abetta's to stock types well and they have wide saddles for broad horses. They are lightweight and affordable.