The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Hellppp. Martingales. =[ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hellppp-martingales-%3D%5B-4580/)

We Control The Chaos 12-02-2007 07:19 PM

Hellppp. Martingales. =[

My 9YO QH has a awfull problem holding his head super high while jumping. :shock: He gets very excited. We do Eventing buttt I think he is holding his head too high even for that. :? Im trying to work him up into the bit and get a little more control of his head. Its quite anoying when we are jumping and he suprisingly gets his head away from me :P . So I was thinking I would get a Martingale to help with my problems. :lol:

Im not sure weither to get a standing or running martingale. What is the difference? And which one would suit my situation best? :roll: :wink:

Thanks Alot. :D

Alex :D

BluMagic 12-02-2007 07:31 PM

If you do decide to use a martingale...go with the running martingale. Only for training because it is a training aid. :-)

We Control The Chaos 12-02-2007 07:40 PM

Yes. I plan only to use it for training. And Barn Shows...which is just like training with ribbons :D

Spirithorse 12-03-2007 01:14 PM

I wouldn't use one at all. It's just a band aid covering up the actual problem.

Sara 12-03-2007 02:07 PM

If you do insist on using one, running martingale.

KIIM 12-11-2007 08:51 PM

i would use a running martiangale. you might also want to consider useing a different bit on your horse

jazzyrider 12-11-2007 09:29 PM

as said above, you can use a running martingale but you are probably best finding the reason why he is doing it and work only training him to keep below the bit and stay relaxed rather than head up, running away with the bit. this could be because he doesnt like the bit, he is in pain somewhere or he hasnt been trained to be responsive to you or you arent giving the right commands or...could be a bunch of things but i would really try and fix the problem without a martingale. you will probably find that as soon as you take it off he will start doing the same thing again anyways

good luck with it :)

BluMagic 12-12-2007 11:18 PM

Isn't training him to keep his head down the point though? I mean, I wouldn't expect him to keep it down without any direction. I respect everyone's opinions but I am confused myself! :-) I've used martingale's and have had great success with them...

Although, I have also had to keepincouraging Blu to keep his head down for I don't have a martingale at the moment. It's not easy! He usually brings it back up after I encourage him to lower it.

Anyhow, I think a martingale would help nicely. That's what everyone I know uses. I also plan on using...

(not meant to be rude, mean, or out of order or anything! just a post of opinion) :oops:

jazzyrider 12-12-2007 11:47 PM

for me personally it comes more from the viewpoint of getting them to do something naturally...finding out why theyre not doing it and fixing that. some horses are harder than others to get to keep their heads down but there is usually a reason why they arent :) you dont need the martingale to show them what they have to do. its rewarding them the second they give in any way that teaches them "oh, thats what i do when they do that" :) but thats just my opinion too ;)

Spirithorse 12-13-2007 12:07 AM

If you guys want to know how I go about getting horses to relax, lower their heads, etc. WITHOUT using a gadget, then go read jazzyrider's new topic in the Training section of the forum. I posted my answer there.