The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Opinions on This Blanket (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/opinions-blanket-4584/)

LukeyD 12-02-2007 09:14 PM

Opinions on This Blanket

I'm poor, and Luke needs something to keep him warm and dry. He already has a nice and fluffy winter coat but it still gets soaked and makes him wet and cold. Would this be a good option? And will the felt rub him bad enough to make him lose hair on his shoulders/neck, etc.? I cannot afford a nicer one, since i'm a 16 year old who cannot find a job anywhere. Thanks guys!

Jeffers Canvas Turn-Out Blanket

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/ass...nvasTrnOut.jpg

This heavyweight Turnout Blanket is water resistant and will keep your horse dry in those Spring showers. Made of 18 oz heavy-duty duck canvas shell with a warm felt lining. Contoured open front with two adjustable straps and 2" leg straps. Available in brown with black trim.

$39.95

Sara 12-02-2007 10:13 PM

I have never seen one of those blankets in person, just on ebay, I think. I do believe you get what you pay for.

kitten_Val 12-03-2007 06:59 AM

I dealed with canvas blanket before (got the one you posted 2 winters back fro my youngster). Good about it is it doesn't get stiff in real cold and it's very warm. Bad about it is its' very heavy and people told me they leak pretty bad after strong rain (I never run into this issue though as I used it only in cold weather when usually we have no snow, and I don't blanket in rain - they are in stall or big shed). I used it on my horse when it was below 25F because she had no coat being in stall 24/7 for while before I got her (so I needed something warm). This winter they both grew fur already, so I was thinking about getting this one (also from the same place as your pic):

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...86Q6C9NP293EAC

It's lighter for sure, and I'm sure not as warm, but it's waterproof.

erinalene 12-03-2007 10:53 AM

Water resistant does not mean water-proof!

From my experience, water resistant is not the same thing as water proof! And spring showers aren't the same as thunderstorms :) If you live in an area that rains a lot during the winter, I would rather invest in something that is water-proof, even if it is just a thin rain sheet. I am more concerned about keeping my horse dry, especially if the temp will dip below freezing at night or if there is a lot of wind. If he's dry, his winter coat should keep him warm enough

If you do get this blanket and have no shelter for your horse, I would not keep a wet blanket on horse. Be sure to soak it with some kind of water-proofing spray, like a Scotch Guard type thing, and check on the blanket the first time it rains.

Gypsy29 12-08-2007 10:57 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I have used one of these kinds of blankets and I was not happy with it. It was very heavy for one, but it was warm. But the worst thing was that it rubbed the shoulders raw :x I left it on my horse for a week of unusally cold weather and when it finally warmed up and I pulled it off the hair was rubbed off in spots on both shoulders. I deffinetly wouldn't recomend one of these blankets.

Have you ever looked on ebay? I just got a blanket off of their from the seller equiteric for $27.00 with s/h :lol: It is not a top quality blanket but it is medium wieght, and nylon lined and it has shoulder qussets and a tail cover. I would really suggest looking there, they have some great deals. You may even be able to find a used one from a different seller for even cheaper :D If you don't know how to use ebay I would be happy to tell you. And If you just don't want to use ebay at all I would really suggest you keep looking. lol

crackrider 12-09-2007 09:16 PM

Yes, look on ebay. You can get good quality rugs that normally cost heaps for dirt cheap prices.

kitten_Val 12-10-2007 07:01 AM

Just a comment on ebay things.... From other side if you get not what you expected (and things sometime look much better on pic then in reality - I mean for example it's impossible to say something about the material of the blanket without touching it) in most cases you won't be able to return it back or exchange (or it can be a frustrating process). In fact I had a bad fight with equiteric when the "quality" new hackamore they sold me broke up on my horse in pieces after 10 or 15 times use. Thank God, I wasn't hurt because it happened just in front of the barn (and I used it on very hot youngster). Took me 3 months asking for my money back. The only reason they decided to calm it down because I started to post EVERYWHERE that they rip off people. As an end result I didn't get money, but I was allowed to get other things from them on same amount.

Gypsy29 12-10-2007 01:19 PM

I agree that there are some things listed on there that you have to be really careful of. The best thing to do would be to look for a blanket that has a tag on it or is brand new still in package. If the blanket is marked for instance with weatherbeta on the shoulder, then you know what you are getting. Ebay can be great, but you have to do your research. Make sure you check the sellers feedback and research the product you are buying :lol:

sweetwaterarabians 12-13-2007 09:15 AM

If your horse is out all the time and he could be out in heavy rain with this blanket he will get wet and possibly sick. I wouldn't choose this blanket. I've been in your shoes and found out the hard way. You do get what you pay for. However, I have found a wonderful place that has the most awesome blankets. They have sales all the time and they are the best blankets for the lowest prices I've found. You can get a nice waterproof blanket that doesn't rub and is extremely durable for ust about $20 more than this on posted if you can catch them on sale. Go to www.sstack.com . I still have all of mine that I've bought there. Mine are out 24/7 and you wouldn't believe what these blankets have been through and they are still great.