The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Well I did it (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/well-i-did-45870/)

stacieandtheboys 01-23-2010 10:57 AM

Well I did it

I finally separated mama and baby. It is hugely inconvienient for us but it had to be done.
When we bought our pony last year she ended up being prego. Our place isn't really set up for foaling and weaning and all of that so I hadn't until yesterday at 5pm. Lexi (the baby) has gotten hugely disrespectful and runs all over her mama and has started with us.

I have mama up for sale and when I took her out of the stall Lexi started rearing and forgot all of her manners (she has been separated before while we ride and never acted like this) So I said enough.

I put mama out front which is basically our front and back yard (the horses mess it up so bad especially when it is raining which is what I was trying to avoid) Mama could care less. She looks relieved poor girl. Lexi on the other hand screamed all night long and has screamed all morning long. I am sure the neighbors don't appreciate it but I am glad I did it. It was well past time.

CheyAut 01-23-2010 11:06 AM

Aw, weaning time, no fun! Been thinking about weaning my August baby. Will probably do so next month sometime!

stacieandtheboys 01-23-2010 01:06 PM

Yeah Lexi is a late March baby so she is almost 10 months old. She is the same height as her mama and has to almost turn herself upside down to nurse. It was rediculous looking lol.

Now I have no idea what I am going to do with baby. I am not sure if I want to keep her. She is a grade pony and I have no idea what daddy was although I am assuming a regular sized horse since she is bigger than her mama. I want to make her as marketable as possible if I do sell her but man she requires so much time. Being a full time student mom and wife has made it hard to find time to work with her. She is at least halter broken, will lead, and will tie. At least I graduate I may then maybe I will have a little more time:). She really will make a great pony some day. Ok end sob story lol.

FGRanch 01-23-2010 01:23 PM

Right on! It's never easy but it has to be done!

Vidaloco 01-23-2010 01:28 PM

Stand firm! Its tough but it must be done. We were fortunate to have someone to put the baby in with so they weren't alone. Our first went in with another mare and our last two have always had each other so were weaned together.
Do you have someone you can put in with baby?

smrobs 01-23-2010 01:33 PM

Wow, that makes me grateful that Rafe is weaning himself. He'll go out and hang out with the horses in the pasture most of the day and sometimes return to mom to nurse but mostly lives on the hay everyone else eats. Too bad you don't have an old herd leader gelding that you could put Lexi with. The best thing I could have done for Rafe was put Dobe out there with him. Talk about learning some manners. After all the hair grew back, he is much more respectful of everyone, including me. Dobe even tackled him once when he got a little too disrespectful.

That's good that you are weaning her, both her and momma will be much better off and momma will be happier. You might consider keeping her, by the time she is really old enough to start riding, your situation may be better and you'll have enough time to mess with her.

stacieandtheboys 01-23-2010 03:10 PM

She is in with my gelding and my other mare... Has been since she was about 2 or 3 months old. She is very respectful of them and is put in her place quite often. She really doesn't nurse much any more either and goes off by herself and witht the other horses. I haven't been home most of the day but I am sure she is fine.

stacieandtheboys 01-26-2010 11:30 AM

OK day 4 and she is still squealing. I had an offer to move mama off site yesterday. Do you think I should take them up on it? All baby does is run the fence and squeal 24/7. How long would I have to keep mama away?

Vidaloco 01-26-2010 11:51 AM

If it won't be a hardship take mom away. A month or 2 should do it since she is older.

Cowgirl140ty 01-26-2010 11:58 AM

I would take them up on that offer. When I weaned my baby.... it was cold turkey. Loaded him in the trailer and took him 40 miles away and put him in with a gelding. An hour of crying for mama who was no where to be seen or call to him.... he was done. But he was very independent. And only 4 months old.