The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Shedding already? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/shedding-already-45893/)

paintluver 01-23-2010 03:28 PM

Shedding already?

Today I was brushing Romeo, and he is already starting to shed... Is that normal?

He has a huge winter coat, so I am not worried yet about him being cold, but I can tell he has been rolling (To get fur off)
Is it normal to start losing his fur right now?
Or is he just shedding for no reason?

He starts getting a coat really early, so maybe he will lose it really early?

justsambam08 01-23-2010 03:42 PM

I was going to come on here and post the same thing! I curried my boy for a good 15 minutes per side! Ice didn't have an especially thick coat, and he is a TB....still, we're in Florida, so I don't worry about him getting too cold.

All I know is that its related to the sun cycles (when the days get shorter, they start to grow their coat) but its only January--Daylight Savings Time doesnt end till the second week in March.

In short, I have nothing to offer you in the way of help, but I share your concern.

paintluver 01-23-2010 04:00 PM

^^Atleast I am not the only one with a weird horse! lol!

gypsygirl 01-23-2010 05:59 PM

my horses are both shedding too
we have had really rare warm/sunny weather recently so idk ?

Klassic Superstar 01-23-2010 06:07 PM

my mare is shedding to, makes me so happy cause i didnt get to clip her this year so she took forever to dry after working her and themud wuld get so down in there I think when it wrms u more she will be getting SCRUBBED DOWN! her last bath was on June. Nesxt year she is getting clipped for sure.

paintluver 01-23-2010 06:44 PM

Yeah, my pretty white horse is green and brown now....
I told him today that he is lucky it isn't too warm out right now or he would be getting a bath! haha.
He hasn't had one since August.

stacieandtheboys 01-23-2010 09:01 PM

Mine is orange (we have red/orange dirt) It was so warm the other day (84) that I almost bathed her but I had so many other things to do that I didn't. Of course it rained all night and all morning and she was covered in mud so I am glad I didn't. Mine aren't shedding yet though.

Speed Racer 01-25-2010 01:41 PM

There's nothing wrong with your horses.

Horses start shedding when the days start getting longer. The shortest day of the year was December 21st, and the days have been progressively getting longer. That is what triggers shedding; not the warmth of the season.

Horses also start getting their winter coats when the days get shorter, right after the longest day of the year, which is in June. No, they don't get hairy immediately, but their coats start getting imperceptibly thicker.

The equinoxes are what control the migrations, animals growing or shedding hair, the budding or loss of leaves, and a myriad of other things. It has nothing to do with the temperature and everything to do with the length of days.

Alwaysbehind 01-25-2010 01:55 PM

Well said SR.

Mine are shedding too. Longer days are doing their thing.

paintluver 01-25-2010 04:59 PM

That is what I thought but it doesn't seem like the days are getting longer here! lol, but apperantly they are!

Yay I will have my pretty sleek boy again soon!