The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pennies in the water trough. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pennies-water-trough-45903/)

iridehorses 01-23-2010 06:04 PM

Pennies in the water trough.
 
I was reading on Yahoo about uses for pennies. One of them was to put a few in the outside bird bath to inhibit algae. (They recommended coins minted before 1982 because the copper content was higher).

What I'm getting at is the question: will adding copper to a horse's water trough help with algae and how much is necessary in a 100 gallon tank?

RiosDad 01-23-2010 06:13 PM

hydrogen peroxide added to the water in a trough prevents algie and will not harm the horses.. I used it for one year and it seemed to work fine.
I use muriatic acid in the troughs to wash them out weekly. It really cuts the algie and makes the tank look like new

ponyboy 01-23-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiosDad (Post 530667)
hydrogen peroxide added to the water in a trough prevents algie and will not harm the horses.. I used it for one year and it seemed to work fine.

Are you serious?? Hydrogen peroxide is not supped to be drinkable!

iridehorses 01-23-2010 07:18 PM

Neither is Clorox but a cap full in the water trough will cut the algae also, I'm not comfortable with either. The question, though, is about copper.

stacieandtheboys 01-23-2010 07:59 PM

I saw that same article and had the same exact thought! Maybe just enough to cover the bottom?

RiosDad 01-23-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 530688)
Are you serious?? Hydrogen peroxide is not supped to be drinkable!


I used it for one summer on 25 horses plus we had a doctor in the barn and she approved it also.

Google copper in preventing algie and you find lots but not really anything????

equiniphile 01-23-2010 08:43 PM

I have a smaller trough for just 4 horses, like 25 gallons maybe, and refill it a few times a day. I wash it out with a sponge and hot water every week, and it stays really clean. I've never had algae grow in it. I've also found that when I used to use buckets for their water, they freezed a lot quicker than now, when I use a trough. Why is this? I used to use heated water buckets in winter, and when I switched to a trough, I put a heater in it and the horses were deathly afraid of that big red scary monster. Gave up on that expedition xD. I've never heard of preventing algae with pennies....I've heard of using copper sulfate. Here's an article I found:

Prevent moss or algae growth in livestock, nurse tanks

Brighteyes 01-23-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 530688)
Are you serious?? Hydrogen peroxide is not supped to be drinkable!


Actually, it's perfectly safe. :D I drink it whiten my teeth (even though it tastes like fish), I clean my fish tank with it, wash cuts with it... Couldn't live without the stuff.

If you drink too much though, it will make you throw up. Gave it to my dog once when he had eaten some ant poison. But, diluted in water, it won't do a thing.

Pidge 01-25-2010 10:59 AM

Just another thought...if your using copper to keep algae out that would raise the copper content in the water itself...that means it would almost be like a copper supliment in the water wouldnt it? just a random thought...i dont have a clue as to if it keep algae off lol

iridehorses 01-25-2010 11:16 AM

I came across this article: FA-13/FA008: Use of Copper in Freshwater Aquaculture and Farm Ponds and from what I can gather, you need to be careful not to overdose the copper level. It is dependent on the pH of the water.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0