The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Leads?? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/leads-45905/)

Sghorselover 01-23-2010 06:25 PM

Leads??

Well I totally forgot my leads in my Dressage Lesson.

I know i should have them down if im jumping but i totally blanked out!! Thankfully we cant jump I have all winter to get them Down!!! I LOVE DRESSAGE

I know it is the inside leg that extends the Farthest/most, but is there a really good way to tell if your on the right one. THe horse i rode today it was my second time rinding him and i kept looking down to see if i was right(i almost rode in to another horse LOL) . My trainer told me I could tell by if its bouncyer. But the problem the horse is a super bumpy gaited Arabian. Any other way to tell ?

heehhheee I used to have them down like diagonals but it sliped out of my mind.

hrsrdr 01-23-2010 07:13 PM

well, you can try to do a fairly small circle, and you will be able to tell pretty quickly if your horse is on the wrong lead...he will feel very unbalanced and choppy (this also helps because when he is bent on a circle, it is easier to see where his inside foreleg is). Try counting the beats of the canter to yourself as you go (1, 2, 3; 1 ,2, 3...), and on 3, his inside shoulder should extend. If you bend his head enough to the inside on the transition to the canter, most horses will pick up their correct lead pretty easily. Just keep practicing and pretty soon you'll better be able to tell! :)

wesgirl 01-26-2010 07:14 PM

Looking down is the only surefire way to tell. More advanced riders can feel if they are on the correct one and a rider who is used to a particular horse may also be able to tell. But you are correct with the fact that it is the inside leg leading. When you do look down to check just watch for a few strides then look back up so you do not run into anyone, and if you are still not sure, then check again :)

Sghorselover 01-26-2010 07:30 PM

Oh ok!! I was riding a different hose than Usually but i am riding this horse every other week due to the lesson situation and my friend liking the horse too.