The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Thinking long and hard... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/thinking-long-hard-45926/)

CrazyChester 01-23-2010 08:36 PM

Thinking long and hard...

...About selling my ponies.

I usually go through this stage when I'm feeling down and I always decide that I'm going to sell my horses, I get over it in about a day but this time I have been thinking about it for a while.

I'm gonna type out a number of reasons that are going through my head on why I should sell them:

1. We are over due on our paddock fees. Even if we pay up to date then we go behind again. This is usually because someone forgets to pay the owner of the paddocks and spends the rent money, or we have no money in the first place.

2. Lately I have been seeing them less and less, usually on weekends and it is only for a little while. They are sitting around getting fat, when they should be getting out being used.

3. I need a new gear. Saddle, the one I have now is far too narrow! I can't afford to buy a new one, Abby needs a new bit..also can't afford it.

Maybe I'm just worrying to much? Maybe I'm not. I talked to Mum and she didn't seem to be against the idea. It isn't like I'm loosing interest in horses, it is just we are..well..poor. I said that if I was to sell them, I would like to be able to join a riding school. Even if it is just some dodgy place, I will still need a horse fix.

I guess this is sort of a rant (?). It is so hard to decide, what do you guys think?

mom2pride 01-23-2010 08:46 PM

Why don't you do a partial lease, or free lease on them? That way when you are more 'up' on time and funds, they are still there, and you don't have to purchase new ones.

You can also do a lease that requires them to stay where they are, and that way you can still see and use them (when their leasers aren't).

I dunno, I guess if you are really strapped, right now, maybe you should, but then, maybe you are just looking at it too hard.

Have you considered trading your current saddle for one that fits better? Same with the bit? Find out what's out there, and see if you can trade for what you need. `

CrazyChester 01-23-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2pride (Post 530824)
Why don't you do a partial lease, or free lease on them? That way when you are more 'up' on time and funds, they are still there, and you don't have to purchase new ones.

You can also do a lease that requires them to stay where they are, and that way you can still see and use them (when their leasers aren't).

I dunno, I guess if you are really strapped, right now, maybe you should, but then, maybe you are just looking at it too hard.

Have you considered trading your current saddle for one that fits better? Same with the bit? Find out what's out there, and see if you can trade for what you need. `

I was thinking about maybe doing a free lease with Abby. Chester needs a lot of work and I would prefer to sell him to a better home.

My current saddle is pretty worse for wear. It really isn't worth anything, I don't think anybody would want it. :lol:

CheyAut 01-24-2010 03:53 AM

How many do you own? Maybe sell some and keep one or two to lessen the costs?

RedTree 01-24-2010 07:02 AM

are you a good rider maybe offer lessons i dont know if theres any rules against it but that way you could see them alot and get paid to :)

or the lease idea sounds good

iridehorses 01-24-2010 08:17 AM

The harsh reality is that, except for people who make their living on horseback, horses are a luxury not a necessity. Selling them may be one of the hardest decisions you will make but it may be the right one. When you can't afford proper upkeep and your tack is ill-fitting and not in good condition anyway, then it's time to consider your ponies' needs.

There are quite a lot of people in the US who hold on to their horses long after they should have sold or even given them away. The ones to suffer are the horses.

You don't have to loose your passion for horses, if it's in your blood, it will always be there. Find a way to be around them even if it is working as a stable hand, but do what is best for your ponies.

My2Geldings 01-24-2010 10:06 AM

It's a hard situation. I can't imagine going thru it but the post above was a really good one.

Being a horse owner, I don't know that you will ever be able to stop horses or go to a different sport or hobby. Once it's in your blood its in your blood. What I think you might want to consider IS cutting down to the one horse, one you can focus on when you do make it to the barn, have just the one to worry about and have expenses on.

Horses ARE a big luxury, it's not the way it used to be years ago. Stables are around to make money, not to make it easy on you to keep and own a horse.

There are lease options, working in exchance of board, perhaps relocating your pony to a place that is a little cheaper until you get up on your feet again?

Either way it's going to be tough. I wish you the best and a lot more thinking before you make a decision you might regret. Good luck!

CrazyChester 01-24-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheyAut (Post 531186)
How many do you own? Maybe sell some and keep one or two to lessen the costs?

I own two. Which one would I keep?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTree (Post 531210)
are you a good rider maybe offer lessons i dont know if theres any rules against it but that way you could see them alot and get paid to :)

or the lease idea sounds good

Hehe..No, I'm not a confident rider nor do I think I'm a good one! Thanks..

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 531231)
The harsh reality is that, except for people who make their living on horseback, horses are a luxury not a necessity. Selling them may be one of the hardest decisions you will make but it may be the right one. When you can't afford proper upkeep and your tack is ill-fitting and not in good condition anyway, then it's time to consider your ponies' needs.

There are quite a lot of people in the US who hold on to their horses long after they should have sold or even given them away. The ones to suffer are the horses.

You don't have to loose your passion for horses, if it's in your blood, it will always be there. Find a way to be around them even if it is working as a stable hand, but do what is best for your ponies.

Thankyou!

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings (Post 531285)
It's a hard situation. I can't imagine going thru it but the post above was a really good one.

Being a horse owner, I don't know that you will ever be able to stop horses or go to a different sport or hobby. Once it's in your blood its in your blood. What I think you might want to consider IS cutting down to the one horse, one you can focus on when you do make it to the barn, have just the one to worry about and have expenses on.

Horses ARE a big luxury, it's not the way it used to be years ago. Stables are around to make money, not to make it easy on you to keep and own a horse.

There are lease options, working in exchance of board, perhaps relocating your pony to a place that is a little cheaper until you get up on your feet again?

Either way it's going to be tough. I wish you the best and a lot more thinking before you make a decision you might regret. Good luck!

Do you still have to pay for the ponies needs if you lease? Worming, farrier, feed ect..I keep them at a agistment paddock and there is really no work, the owner has stopped working on the property all together. He is selling so I don't think he will be able to give me any work. Unfortunately this place is the cheapist, there is one other property but they are currently full.

Thankyou to everyone that has replied. I'm still thinking about it because I don't like how it currently is turning out. I do think selling both of them and going back to lessons is the best way to go. Maybe when I move out and I'm not relying on my parents, I will think about buying another horse. I really don't want to sell them, I loved owning horses for the short time that I have but yes, they are very expensive and I wish I realised that before I went out and bought the second pony. :D Thanks again!

Kayty 01-24-2010 05:43 PM

For leasing, you can work out an agreement with the leasee. I am about to lease a friends mare, she does not have the time to ride her at the moment and as she is only 3 years old and done next to nothing, and I am currently scouting for a new horse and havent had one for a year! it works out perfectly. We have decided that I will pay all costs associated with the mare while she is in my care, as though she is my own.

As for when you move out and are not relying on your parents, well sorry to say, but then it is even harder to afford them!!

CrazyChester 01-24-2010 05:47 PM

Since it wouldn't let me edit it...

I also wanted to add, even though this has nothing to do with it. That it isn't just "horsie" bills that are over-due, it is house hold bills also. Mum says she is working Full Time for a couple of months this year, but then what about the rest of the year? She also said that it would be better if we had them home. We rent, I doubt we could afford a place with paddocks that are for rent. We have gone for a couple of those and always got rejected. It sort of sounds like "Woe is Me" at the moment. Anyway..that is just a bunch of useless information. :)