The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   gelding is a brat (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/gelding-brat-4593/)

cory-boy 12-03-2007 07:16 PM

gelding is a brat

hi, my gelding some days is just a s.o.b. to my little mare who is 1 1/2 years old. I know we all have our off days but sometimes his has alot of off days, just today he nipped her hard enough in the front leg to cause her to bleed and took a pretty good chunck out of her. And sometimes he is just a sweetheart. Why???? Is there something i am missing. :?

CuttingEdge 12-03-2007 07:58 PM

How long ago was he fixed? Testosterone takes time to leave a horse's body. He is also coming into that age of mischief. Their could also be the possibility of being proud cut. Does he bite at you too?
How do you correct his bad behaviour?

Spirithorse 12-03-2007 08:46 PM

Horses can play some serious dominance games with each other sometimes. It's just a natural thing for them to do. But if it gets way out of control and she is seriously getting hurt, you may have to seperate them. But if he bullies her a lot, there is nothing you can do about it. He's just being a horse.

cory-boy 12-03-2007 08:46 PM

He has been cut for many years, he is about 5-7, the ladyI got him from said he was 7 vet says about 5. She had him checked by a vet to make sure everything was gone, and he has been cut correctly, I think he was cut around 1-2 years of age. The lady I got him from said at one time he had been taken to a stable and just placed in a pasture with 20 other horses, everything from geldings to mares, well that did not go good he got into a fight with several at one time I guess. And the people running stable blamed cory not there stupidity for just throwing him out there with an established herd. So I dont know if this is some of the problem. When i got him he was boarded with only two other geldings one was a pony who looked up to him all the time and he was good with him the other one was 29 years old and could careless. he never thinks of bitting at people. and I do correct him if he is naughty to star but I know I can't be there all the time and horses witll be horses. I tell him to knock it off, and when he backs off i pet him or give him a hug. I feel realy bad for my baby star :( cuz she will follow that big jerk around and she really likes him. One last thing my baby was hurt in trailer accident, so everyday i have to go out and change her badage, Im sure in his eyes he might think she is getting something he is not. so when i finish with her legs, i just go over to cory and pick up his feet too.

kitten_Val 12-04-2007 06:44 AM

My qh used to nip my paint really bad (up to good size scratches and missing skin on butt) right after I moved them to new place (just by themself). It was happening for about 2 months or so. Then at some point she slowed down. Now qh still shows her teeth to the paint, but doesn't nip (chase her away though when I'm around). But as other people said since you have a baby you may want to separate them for while if he gets too mean.