The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Horse Abuse... I Think (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/horse-abuse-i-think-45940/)

Lovehorsesandrunning 01-23-2010 10:17 PM

Horse Abuse... I Think

So Today My dad was drving me about an hour away to get my sister a lacrosse stick. But on the way back. There was not even an acre, it was filled with all this crap( like fruniture and old unwanted stuff) and it was all on fire burning. And in the back Corner Were two black horses, they looked about 16 hh and a Frisian cross. They werent starved but they werent properly fed either, There was no fence what so ever around them, im so worried and my parents wont go back to look closer! Do you think i should be worried?

equiniphile 01-23-2010 10:21 PM

Not sure, Sam. You said they were hitched to a cart, right? They could have been hauling firewood to the burnpile, and the owner was around the corner where you couldn't see him....I'm not sure. Wait to get a few more opinions before you do anything rash lol ;)

MacabreMikolaj 01-23-2010 10:25 PM

It's fine to check into it, but no, from what you've told me, it's not abuse. Perhaps it's not what we would do, but even if the horses are in a small pen with junk the most you can do is politely talk to the owner and see if you can't persuede him to remove it or help him clean it up. There are no laws about how you keep your horse as long as he's decently fed. Depending on where you live, there may be laws regarding shelter, but unless the animals are being blatantly abused or neglected, most states/provinces won't do much.

Which realistically, is for the best. We may disagree with certain situations, and we may think it's dangerous what people are doing, but as long as the animals are fed and watered, would you really want the law breathing down your neck for the possibility of confiscating your animals everytime you lifted a whip or didn't fix a fence immediately? I wouldn't.

Lovehorsesandrunning 01-23-2010 10:31 PM

Okay thanks, But no sage they were just standing next to the carrige thing, and the carrige was so old, it couldnt be used for anything. And like there was barly a house, it was just like a tiny shack,

GoldRush 01-23-2010 10:32 PM

I have to agree...Not a lot you can do when they are fed and not in need of vet care. Say a prayer for them, and know that God loves all creatures (especially horses!) and He will watch over them and keep them safe.

Lovehorsesandrunning 01-23-2010 10:42 PM

Thanks(; I will

equiniphile 01-23-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovehorsesandrunning (Post 530962)
Okay thanks, But no sage they were just standing next to the carrige thing, and the carrige was so old, it couldnt be used for anything. And like there was barly a house, it was just like a tiny shack,

Ugh. sometimes it sucks, but at least they're being fed and watered

Lovehorsesandrunning 01-23-2010 11:06 PM

Yea possibly idk i couoldnt look close enough

mom2pride 01-24-2010 12:30 AM

It can't hurt to drop in and 'play dumb'...like go to the owners and say you love horses, and that you would love to see their horses, if they are willing :D Atleast then you can get a closer view, without really imposing...

LadyDreamer 01-24-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2pride (Post 531105)
It can't hurt to drop in and 'play dumb'...like go to the owners and say you love horses, and that you would love to see their horses, if they are willing :D Atleast then you can get a closer view, without really imposing...

In this day, I would never ever suggest that. At least not going without at least one, preferably more, people, and potentially armed. Never ever go to someone you don't know, into a place you do not know, in a situation that you don't feel comfortable with for a horse from what you saw from the road. That is a bad idea. Call me paranoid, but a lot of bad could come out of doing something like that.

I'd stick with the, there is nothing you can do unless the horses are without food/water/shelter(even sub par shelter).