The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Tack and Equipment Classifieds (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/)
-   -   Question about email scams (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/question-about-email-scams-4595/)

iblori 12-03-2007 08:29 PM

Question about email scams

Hi everyone. I have a mare listed on Dreamhorse.com and I was one of the lucky ones who was contacted by someone wanting to give me a $7500 US cashiers check to pay for my $2500 horse. I know I need to report this to dreamhorse, but does anyone know if any law enforcement is being done? Maybe someone else I need to report it to?

Thanks,

Vidaloco 12-04-2007 07:18 AM

I got the same scam email when I had a horse listed on Dreamhorse.com They even wanted to ship her to Spain. They used the shipping cost as a reason to give me more than I was asking for the horse. It was a really weird deal, I reported it to Dreamhorse and emailed the person that I knew it was a scam but didn't look into reporting it elsewhere. I just wonder how many people have gotten scammed. :twisted: Glad I wasn't one of them.

kim_angel 12-04-2007 12:14 PM

This scam is huge. There are people who contact our company, a flag pole manufacturing firm, and try to get us to ship 66' poles to them. What they do is, they say they are paying you by credit card or some other form of payment... and will over pay you. They want you, in return to send them a cashiers check back for the over payment.

Their payment is returned by the bank or credit card merchant service after you have already sent them a real cashiers check.

In the end, they dont want the product or animal, they take your check and run. Usually the payment they made to you via a credit card or check is stolen or a forgery.

iblori 12-04-2007 12:24 PM

I am not going to even respond. I just can't believe that they do this still. I feel really sorry for the people who fall prey to these idiots. I would NEVER let them near my mare.

Painted1 12-08-2007 12:54 PM

Hi, I tend to get a lot of e-mail scams from advertisements posted online, whether a horse, saddle, pickup, or a snaffle bit. I've learned to easily recognize these and to disregard them. Don't fall prey to them!

I have also had an experience prior when I was trying to sell a cremello yearling colt of mine, unregistered and not the cutest thing on the block! He came at the side of his dam at an auction. But, any ways, a man from California sent an e-mail expressing interest in the colt. I didn't think much of it and called him to discuss it further. For a week, we bounced back and forth with phone calls - this man was just making it so darn complicated to get things in order. FINALLY, he called with a shipper's name that he has used before. To check out the sources, we gave this shipper a call and she warned us not to sell our horse to him, he'll stop payment on a check - AND she was not willing to come pick up our colt, because this man failed to make payment on previous deliveries. When my fiance called this man to end all deals between us and even stated what he found out, the man became very agitated and irate... and hung up the phone. That was a big waste of time!!!

I did sell the cremello paint mare to a paint horse breeding operation in Arkansas and everything went very smoothly and very professional. That was easy and made the sale easier to cope with.

So, here's another warning. Be very careful about selling your horse to someone that you have not met and who are purchasing your horse off the internet site unseen in person. It doesn't seem to bode well that a horse person would make a purchase based on pictures alone. BUT it can work out if they are a family business who found a great deal on a broodmare but couldn't invest that much more in her by flying or driving to see her. But if a transaction seems to be nothing but a headache, I say don't sell - there's a lot of people out there who are looking for a horse and eventually you will find another home and hopefully the sale will be much easier!!!