The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   His back, shape? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/his-back-shape-459538/)

Teffnet 08-04-2014 09:03 AM

His back, shape?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys.

I'd like to ask if you think my horse has a more curvy, or flat back?

He doesn't have a very high wither.

On the last picture, he had lost a lot of muscle due to an injury.

Thank you!

disastercupcake 08-04-2014 03:03 PM

What do you mean by a curvy or flat back?

In the first pic he definitely has a lot more topline. But even in that pic, I would not say he has a 'flat' back.

Aesthetic 08-05-2014 02:50 AM

He actually seems to have a bit of a roach to me, not bad. But along with that back I see a VERY weak coupling. I could be wrong...Something does look off though

Elana 08-05-2014 09:52 AM

I love a back like this. VERY strong coupling (tho someone will come on and claim a roach back but it isn't really.. just very strong). His croup is not so much flat as his tail set is high. He has knife withers.. in the last photo so saddle fit is going to be difficult.

This sort of back, while very strong, is not very supple in dressage work. It is a bit difficult for a horse built like this to curl his hind legs under him, but with practice can be done.

I like this horse. Good bone, good look and a very strong coupling.

Teffnet 08-05-2014 11:30 AM

Thank you very much for the replies! He did have an injury at his SI (not severe, but still affected him very badly and he was out of work for an year) -- I 'll take more pictures tomorrow and post them!

Zexious 08-05-2014 11:31 AM

I'm a little confused by the term "curvy" or "flat". He definitely doesn't have any sort of sway back, if that's what you're asking (:

Aesthetic 08-05-2014 01:45 PM

I've never seen a back like his so leave it to Elana to correct me!!!

CandyCanes 08-06-2014 08:25 AM

>Very similar to diddly's back. Straight, flat with a roach. All things diddly has. His back is very strong, but he has a tiny bit of trouble with working from the hind end. He can do it but its quite difficult for him.

disastercupcake 08-06-2014 08:58 AM

I agree its a VERY strong looking back. But what is a 'flat' back?

Aesthetic 08-06-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disastercupcake (Post 5961586)
I agree its a VERY strong looking back. But what is a 'flat' back?

I feel a flat back would be a back with no top line, Weak and straight?