The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Conformation Critique Lily (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/conformation-critique-lily-45965/)

ScharmLily 01-24-2010 10:22 AM

Conformation Critique Lily

4 Attachment(s)
This is my 9 year old Arabian mare, Lily. I would love to hear your critiques on her conformation. Although she is 9, she has only really been under saddle for a year since I bought her. Before that she was mostly just a pet, so it has been hard to condition her like a normal horse since she never developed any real muscle tone when she was younger. So just keep this in mind. I want to do some dressage with her, but at this point it will be more for fun than competition. She has an awesome personality!

This summer- she has muscled up since then
This was just a fun picture ;)
Attachment 23307
Attachment 23308

At her first show a month ago
Attachment 23309

And one to show off her cute face!
Attachment 23310

danastark 01-24-2010 12:58 PM

In the first picture she looks more like an anglo-arab but in the 2nd one where she's filled out, she looks Arab! She's a really pretty girl, nothing majorly wrong. The only things I see are a long back, upright shoulder, maybe she toes in-hard to tell from the side shots, and a little cow-hocked but she looks like she is very strong and sweet :)

smrobs 01-24-2010 02:28 PM

Though I'm not really sure what an ideal Arab is supposed to look like, she looks pretty darn good to me. Her shoulder may be a bit steep and she could be toed in on the front, like Dana said, hard to tell. The only thing that really stands out at me is how upright her pasterns are. Does she ride a bit rough?

brighteyes08 01-24-2010 03:30 PM

shes not putting weight on her heels in the forehand, as well her shoulders are off,, long back, and her hind end is rather angular and odd.

ScharmLily 01-24-2010 04:07 PM

You are correct that she toes in a little in the front. As for her gaits, her trot is springy, but not really jarring. I can't really comment on her canter as it is very unbalanced right now due to the fact that I don't think she cantered with a rider more than a few times for the first 8 years of her life. She's getting there though ;)