The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Lunge Reins *video* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/lunge-reins-%2Avideo%2A-45979/)

HorsesAreForever 01-24-2010 12:12 PM

Lunge Reins *video*

This is Chances first day back with lunge reins, shes had them before but I never actually worked her in them.

You can see how she was extremely hallowed then SLOWLY :lol: stopped as we kept going. Its a start.

Every time I got her really trotting forward she would stop the second the camera came out.. and keeping her going.. holding camera, rope, and stick.. gets kinda hard :P But let me know what you think. Shes a lot more responsive, but she was having fun blowing me off knowing I didnt have all the mobility to get after her :P

Just remember its her first day back with them in quite a lone time.

justsambam08 01-24-2010 12:32 PM

I know its bits and pieces, but they say to warm your horse up before putting the lunge reins on, and stick with trotting/cantering while in them....the side reins affect the horses natural head movement at a walk. idk if you did that or not, and chance is just being pokey, but just an observation ;)

other than that I think he looks great!

SeWHC 01-24-2010 12:34 PM

She's not really collecting, she's just learning how to evade the pressure. I think the reins are too tight, you want her to come up into the bit, not travel behind it.

I'd put the camera on the arena wall or something stationary and lunge normal... ask her to move out some more.

HorsesAreForever 01-24-2010 12:42 PM

Chance was warmed up w/t/c before.

Shes use to the parelli circle game, so getting her to move out right now is a challenge cause shes so use to being lazy. But I asked for more forward movement before I put the reins on so this is the best forward movement shes gotten since I stopped parelli.

I had it on holes 3 on outside and 4 on the inside so I could get some what of a bend from her.

Next time Ill get it on 2 and 3 and move her out a bit more and get a video. It was extremely challenging with the camera in hands, and she took advantage of that LOL!

Shes gotten very good a evading the bit. Doesn't really matter how loose or tight the reins are she knows how lol

eventerdrew 01-24-2010 12:53 PM

No comments on the vid because I really don't know what true collection looks like either :D

But I'm curious, what do you call those reins you put on her? I looked at the thread and expected to see side reins but those are different. Do they have the same action as draw reins?

I'm seriously just curious. I've never seen those before!

HorsesAreForever 01-24-2010 01:15 PM

LMao at least im not the only one who doesn't know! Ive been looking at different videos and such and I cant see it .. oh well :P

And there called: Vienna Lunge Reins.

One reason I got them is because it doesnt allow the horse to brace on them.

eventerdrew 01-24-2010 03:14 PM

ohhh ok that makes sense! Thanks for telling me. Learned my horsey factoid for the day :)

SavvyHearts 01-24-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever (Post 531397)

You can see how she was extremely hallowed then SLOWLY :lol: stopped as we kept going. Its a start.

Not meaning to burst your bubble but Chance was extremely hollow throughout the whole thing...I didn't see any time at all where she wasn't hollow.
True collection cannot come from using lunge reins as the power comes from the back reins...the "headset" comes after true collection is formed...and it's something that horse's do naturally when they are collected. :wink:

Spyder 01-24-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvyHearts (Post 531627)
Not meaning to burst your bubble but Chance was extremely hollow throughout the whole thing...I didn't see any time at all where she wasn't hollow.
True collection cannot come from using lunge reins as the power comes from the back reins...the "headset" comes after true collection is formed...and it's something that horse's do naturally when they are collected. :wink:

Not to burst your bubble but you must be looking at a different video than I am.

While the horse is not driving up it is NOT extremely hollow throughout the video. There is also nothing in the original post or any that followed that even mentioned collection so your assessment is off track.

I would ditch the vienna reins and use two lunge lines with one set in the normal way and the other around the outside of the horse, behind the rump then back to you. This allows you the influence of the second rein to drive and can be useful interchanging lunging with driving.

SavvyHearts 01-24-2010 04:29 PM

ok sorry you are right there was nothing on collection, but the horse is still hollow either way and unless she didn't add the ending (the "SLOWLY :lol: stopped as we kept going") there was no change in the back that I could see....if there was it wasn't that much