The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What to feed a 7 month old? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-feed-7-month-old-45988/)

HollyLolly 01-24-2010 03:01 PM

What to feed a 7 month old?

Hi, I'm getting a 7 month old colt, really soon, but I have no idea what I should feed him, so I thought I better find out before he arrives lol! :lol:
Well, he's a pony (not sure exactly how tall he is, he might have grown since I saw him last!) he came straight from the New Forest and is currently only being fed hay (to my knowledge).
I want to know a good feed, that will make him strong, but wont make him crazy (like some do!)
Thanks in advance :-)

smrobs 01-24-2010 03:05 PM

My 6 month old gets fed free choice alfalfa and he is bulking up nicely without being overly fat (he runs most of it off). Probably any good quality hay would be good. No sweet feeds but depending on the nutritional quality of the hay, a nice balanced pellet feed might be used as a supplement.

HollyLolly 01-24-2010 03:19 PM

It's annoying at this time of year, there's no decent hay anywhere! Infact, I was furious about a week ago, I'd ordered some hay, and they brought me haylage AND refused to take it back, or leave until they got paid :evil: I was fuming - not going back to them anytime soon.

Do you think it's safe to give him haylage, or get hold of some hay in time for him to get here?

Also (sorry, I'm annoying) could you give me some brand names, see, I've never had to give my mare a feed so I've never even had to think of it, and now when I do any searches, it only brings up things like "feed for working horses" that cost loads and I wouldn't need to buy yet :-|

smrobs 01-24-2010 03:27 PM

I honestly don't know what haylage is. Do you have a local vet that could maybe do a phone consult and answer that for you? Or, I'm sure, there will be someone here who knows more about it. I am not sure of what feeds you might have available in the UK. You might try searching foal feeds that would be more balanced for one his age instead of the performance feeds.

churumbeque 01-24-2010 06:16 PM

I have been fond of Nutrina Safe choice pelleted feed or strategy

HollyLolly 01-27-2010 01:08 PM

Ok thanks :D
smrobs: haylage is like a bit of a sugary version of hay, it's really hard to explain, it's got a higher sugar content than normal hay (i think) but keeps longer.

shesinthebarn 02-10-2010 09:15 AM

I use Masterfeeds foal ration. It's great especially when pasture is in decline or hay is scarce/poor. I'd say a good mixed hay and a foal ration with 16% protien and as high a fiber contant as possible (like 18% or so)
Good luck, they are so much fun when they are little!

My Beau 02-10-2010 12:58 PM

I feed my 9 month old Blue Seal Contender - it's 16% protein. And all the timothy/orchard grass she can eat.

qtrhrsecrazy 02-12-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 531699)
I have been fond of Nutrina Safe choice pelleted feed or strategy

2 real good choices for your mare ^. For the baby Equine Junior is a good choice

Cowgirl140ty 02-12-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qtrhrsecrazy (Post 550451)
For the baby Equine Junior is a good choice

I agree. That is what I kept my baby on up until a month ago. Its made by Purina. And it is a complete feed.