The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping Exersizes. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-exersizes-46046/)

ChingazMyBoy 01-25-2010 01:02 AM

Jumping Exersizes.

Hey,

So I noticed there wasn't a thread on this! So I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread about it so we could all share grids, ect.

UnrealJumper 01-25-2010 02:55 AM

bounces? gymnastic lines?

RedTree 01-25-2010 04:03 AM

can i start with a question

how do you know how far to space jumps??
or more specificly the one where the horse jumps in and its a jump out with like one stride inbetween?? if that makes sense

maura 01-25-2010 07:21 AM

RedTree,

Depends on the size and the ability of the horse. If you're cantering in, distance for a one stride in and out is 21 - 24 feet. Trotting in 18'.

Standard math is a based on a 12' stride, and allowing 3' each take off and landing for fences 3' and less; take off allowance should be the same distance as the fence is high. So for a 4' high one stride in and out, you'd open up the distance 2' to allow for the height of the fences.

The object when schooling a horse througth a grid at first is to set the distances comfortably for them, so sometimes a little tweaking is in order to make the distances suit the horse.

When teaching riding school lessons on school horses, I always set the distances shorter to make sure all the schoolies could do it comfortably -- you didn't want a lesson student to take their leg off in the middle and then have the horse add a stride or have the schoolie have to reach for the second fence.

Hope that helps.

RedTree 01-30-2010 07:40 AM

umm whats that in metres??

ChingazMyBoy 01-30-2010 07:52 AM

6.4 - 7.3 meters, is 21 - 24 ft. Hope that helped.

CecilliaB 01-30-2010 09:15 AM

I know it's a very basic and early exercise but I always enjoy canter poles...it even seems like my horse has fun with them. I saw a huge improvement in his form and relaxing when approaching a jump after doing these and then moved up to gymnastics.

JadedEyes 01-30-2010 10:06 AM

Hahaha...knowing my horse, Cecillia, he would jump the canter poles instead of cantering over them. Silly baby horse!

Beau Baby 01-31-2010 02:34 AM

how far apart do you put the canter poles and even trot poles. is it 3'?

JumperDak15 02-03-2010 12:27 PM

i enjoy doing lots of flat work with my gelding. it rounds him and allows him to be more flexable and agile for bigger jumps. before i learnt to properly jump, he could only do 3ft3...now he can do over 4ft6 :D

Bounces and gymnastic lines are great, trotting poles and small courses with bounces or gymnastic lines put into them work good as well. :)