The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Pit bulls? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/pit-bulls-46079/)

Lonestar22 01-25-2010 01:33 PM

Pit bulls?

I would like to know everyones opinion on the breed. Specifically whether or not they should be banned. IMO I do not think they should be banned. But I do think that there should be certain requirements you have to take to own one. Because of their history, I think that in order to own a pit bull you should have to obtain a liscense, take training classes, have your dog registered and microchipped. This would make sure (well at least make it harder) that people who do not have the responsibility to raise and train their dog appropiatley can not own one. Even if all of this happened there are still going to be "accidents". My sisters friend ( a vet tech) had a pit she rescued when it was a puppy. the dog lived with her and her other pets for years. Then one day the dog snapped. She came home and the dog had killed every single animal in the house. For no know reason. Thne there's my best friends dogs. They are absolute sweethearts and I love them, that being said, I will not bring my dog (who i take everywhere) to their house. To much of a risk.

Crimsonhorse01 01-25-2010 01:37 PM

I am not against dog breeds, but you have to remember what they were bred for. I personally would never have one around my kids. They are a dominate and aggressive breed.

Alwaysbehind 01-25-2010 01:41 PM

Crimson they are not aggressive as much as they have drive. If you actually knew what they were bred for you would not have a problem having them around your kids. Dog aggression is VERY different than people aggression.

Regulations are a great thing (cough cough) except - the people who are currently the main problem for this breed are not the type who will bother to follow any new regulations that are out there. The laws that are out there now are not being enforced, do we really need more for them to ignore?

Lonestar22 01-25-2010 01:47 PM

Stricter consequences? I think that law enforcement is being lazy on the subject. I also think that banning them completely is ridiculous. Maybe if law enforcement did actually take charge of the situation the problem would be resolved.

AlabamaHorseMom 01-25-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01 (Post 532610)
I am not against dog breeds, but you have to remember what they were bred for. I personally would never have one around my kids. They are a dominate and aggressive breed.

I take it you have never owned or known one of these amazing dogs.
The character, and love of life in these dogs is amazing. They are NOT aggressive, unless trained that way. They want nothing more than to lay up on the couch with you and sleep the day away.
I dont own a pit, but I do own an Ol' Southern White American Bulldog who is closely related to the pit type breed. I would trust my dog with my life.
Please dont judge the breed because of the acts of PEOPLE. Its this thinking that gets BSL laws in the making.

Alwaysbehind 01-25-2010 01:49 PM

I think law enforcement is busy dealing with murders and rapes and the fact that the idiot with the corner store has an attic full of fighting dogs is really not a huge worry to them.

It is next to impossible for anyone (even law enforcement) to get people who truly do not feel the laws are meant for them to follow them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlabamaHorseMom (Post 532622)
They want nothing more than to lay up on the couch with you and sleep the day away.

With blankets. They require blankets.

Lonestar22 01-25-2010 01:57 PM

very true. I just hate to see these dogs being put down day after day. I work at a vet clinic and most of the pits that come in are females and well trained. Then we get the ones that are unnueterted males, scars on them, always on the skinny side and it's their first time at the vet. You can tell what they have been used for. It's horrible. A man who lives in my town ( i am good friends with his younger brother) left his dogs (pits and pit crosses) to starve when he moved. The police cheif did nothing because he did not want to get involoved ( he is the mans friend) and one of the dogs died. The others were rescued, but I'm sure because of their breed and what they were trained for (hog hunting) most if not all will be put down. It's a sad story.

FoxyRoxy1507 01-25-2010 02:00 PM

i personally have owned multiple pitbulls, my family has had one since i was 4yrs old and i absolutely love them to bits! i have two at the moment one is a full blooded rednose the other is a mix, i find them to b the most affectionate and loyal dog ive ever met and my big boy is over 100 lbs and i knew his parents and knew the people who raised him until he was 1 1/2 and he was raised around kids and loves my nephew who is 6. he lets my smaller labx beat the crap out of him and never even growls or anything. the ones i find to be more agreesive are the pit mixes which i have one as well and she was a rescue which she has attacked both of my other dogs before and we have had her with the other two dogs for 4yrs and have never had a problem till one day she snapped and freaked out. i do believe they are not a good first dog to have, nor are they good for someone who is timid bc they are a breed that needs to be put in their place and reminded of that. once u show them u are alpha, there are rarely any problems unless its a certain line, bc they were bred more for fighting recently in the years that have come, there are certain lines that tend to b more agressive esp toward other animals, but rarely toward people. they are very good guard dogs esp bc of the fact they look scary and if they think u are scared, theyre not gonna let u in their house/yard. i love my pit and i will always have one even around my kids but only as long as i know how it was bred and where it came from.

ive also learned esp since they are so loyal and loving, u'll see the articles on tv where the dog has attacked the kid or the parent or whatever and its bc theyve had the dog before the child and once the child came into the parents life the dog became jealous, when the dog attacked it was trying to show it was jealous and wanted more love. or its the instance where the owner was not being as dominant as they should have been and the dog was trying to challenge to be alpha.

i believe there should be tougher consquences on people when it comes to these types of things bc its never the dogs fault, its just like a gun doesnt kill someone, u have to pick it up to do so. like i said some of them can be agressive depending on circumstances but u should know all about them and know a trainer or something to help u when owning one to avoid any mishaps regarding these types of instances. by no means are they an easy dog to own, but there are multiple breeds that arent easy to own, the only reason pits get a bad rap is bc when they bite, they always do damage.

i speak of all of this from first hand experience and i have a very good friend who is a UKC pitbull breeder and my other friend was a vet and i have always had a trainer, one that specialized in pits and pit rescues.

sorry it is so long but this is something i feel very passionate about, thank you Lonestar22 for starting the thread.

Alwaysbehind 01-25-2010 02:01 PM

Being euthanized is not a horrible thing really! There are lots of good dogs that need homes. As much as I love my pibble (and the one I had before her) they are for sure not the dog for everyone (they require an owner that is truly responsible because everyone is just drooling to blame them for every bad thing that happens) and I would rather they be euthanized than end up in the wrong hands.

Sad as it is.

Amba1027 01-25-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01 (Post 532610)

They are actually great with children and have the nick name of "nanny dog". They also have better temperments than a lot of "family" dogs. You do have to be careful with them around other animals because they do have natural aggression towards other animals. But they have no natural aggression towards humans.