The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What is this pink spot? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-pink-spot-461074/)

KodasSlvrWings 08-06-2014 06:35 PM

What is this pink spot?

I really hope this is in the right forum. I wasn't really sure where to put it.
I have a 9 year old flea bitten grey saddlebred. I have had her for 2 years and when I first got her I noticed a small, about 2 inches long, perfect oval shaped spot under her mane where the skin and fur has no pigment. I asked a friend about it and she told me she was "pinking" she does have molting on her lips but "pinking" usually doesn't go onto the neck and isn't a perfect oval shape right? Was it where before she greyed out she had a white spot? She use to have little socks on her back legs that are pink and have no flea bites. Could it possibly be a brand? Is it skin cancer? It hasn't grown at all and looks like normal skin without pigment. The vet has never said anything about it either. So what the heck is it?!

I am having trouble uploading the pictures but will keep trying to get them up. You aren't really missing much with out pictures though. Just picture a perfectly drawn on oval that has pink skin and white hairs right in the center of her neck underneath her mane.

stevenson 08-06-2014 06:55 PM

hope you get the photo loaded. I would like to see what you are talking about

rookie 08-06-2014 07:55 PM

Its possible it is a scar. If she is a grey its possible she had a small melanoma that was removed. The resulting scar would possibly have no pigment and white hair.

KodasSlvrWings 08-07-2014 01:46 PM

It doesn't look like scar tissue though. She has other scars from a trailer accident a year ago and they all have a different look.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elsa 08-08-2014 11:14 AM

If she is grey it's likely skin depigmentation. It's not exclusively limited to the face.

Here is a link to a blog with some photos of a PRE stallion that seems to have similar markings as what you are talking about and very little depigmentation in the normal face/sheath/under tail areas.
Depigmentation on greys |

KodasSlvrWings 08-08-2014 12:02 PM

Elsa- that looks just like what she has!
Posted via Mobile Device