The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pray for My Baby to Come Home!

38K views 256 replies 29 participants last post by  KsKatt 
#1 ·
This is a very long story. I will try to summarize the best I can. If there's anything you don't understand, or need clarified, I'll do the best I can.
On March 28, 2012, I broke down and drove to Oklahoma to buy a pony. I'd been watching her ad on craigslist for 3 months. Old, half blind, pony, when they tossed in the word auction I was done for. I paid $200. and renamed her Luvy.

Here are her eyes;

See less See more
#2 ·
The left eye had sunk in to the point the lashes were turned under and began to brush against the eye. The eye had no sight but did have pain. We decided to remove the eye.
I will spare you the pics of the surgery. Here she is basically healed.

When I was loading her in the trailer, the people informed me that their stallion had "gotten to her".
When her teeth were floated the vet guessed her at right around 20, there are no signs of her having foaled before.
So often people struggle to get pregnancies in their mares. But then there are the oops babies from one breeding. With all her issues, I was hoping but did finally get her checked to find that she was, indeed, in foal.:shock:

#3 ·
Luvy got very large,

And, on March 14, 2013, she produced this;

We named her Belle. I even have some of her birth on video. I had gotten a baby monitor w/ camera and set it up in her stall.

#4 ·
Sorry for my inexperience w/ the video. Trying to get my vet on the phone at the same time didn't help!

Luvy turned out be an excellent mommy. Bell, an independent child that could try the soul of a saint!

This is daddy;

#5 ·
On July 31, at four and a half months, she managed to jab a piece of wire into her knee.

We made the trip to Kansas State U Vet hospital (after the vet removed the wire, cleaned and wrapped the knee)

Brought her home, with a clean bill of health on Aug 4.

#10 ·
I'm sorry! I have slow satellite and, well very slow everything. Some times when I've tried to post something I've had it disappear, from taking so long. Sooooo, I make lots of little posts!:oops:

#7 ·
After tons of soul searching and meeting a young lady that seemed to click with Belle. I decided to give Belle to the girl (young woman, she is 20).

Things went off when she moved to New York. Still talking about Belle, now called Prada, and how she looked forward to the future. She already had/has a mare that might need to be retired in the next 4 to 5 years. M is from New York and the horses would be living at her Mom's farm. The trip was a breeze, great updates, until.
Prada was given to a friend with cancer as therapy. I am feeling all those things about how when you sell or give away a horse you have no say. She is not mine. I have to say that I missed her even more than I thought I would.

Recently M moved back to Kansas. No updates in a while so, I sent a message.
The story is that M heard the cancer friend wants to "get rid of" Prada because every time she works with her she gets hurt. My Belle is a very laid back filly that takes everything in stride. I have to wonder what is being done that this filly is now exhibiting an unsafe behavior.
M said that she sent a friend over to get the filly and now the "psychotic bwitch" (M's words) is demanding $300.

#8 ·
I was stunned. I would buy Prada, but she's in New Yok and I'm in Kansas. M said she is going to NY to get her mare after she and hubby get a house in the country. She could bring her with her. OK, I offer the $300. plus another $100. as a start towards Prada's care.
The response is that her friend, the one she sent over in the first place I guess, doesn't have any room to board her.
Does anybody know of a place that would give us temporary sanctuary in the are of Buffalo, New York?
I have a lot of confusion here. I just wish I could go myself! I hate not knowing so much and not being able to do anything!!:-x:-(

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK-and you are the one on HT that I have wanted to reply to for 3 days, but the admins have yet to approve or whatever-my membership so that I can post.

First of all, Appleton, nor Lockport, are "north Buffalo" as someone has said. Lockport is likely your best bet to get help. However-I will suggest that you first try to get this person [PM for email] to send out an email with your story. she (her name is Amy) is like the horse network guru of Western NY. If you send her your email and story she will forward it to her network, which is huge, and probably your best chance of help. Her network covers ALL of western NY and then some. I do believe even the one or 2 rescues I know of are in her network. If not-I can get you their names if needed. I am from Buffalo, lived in Lockport (DH is from there) but really have few horsey contacts there any more. I am about 100 miles away, and do not have a place for one, even temporarily, since I board.

Good luck

#11 ·
franknbeans, you are even better than anything I could hope for! I had been trying to search for rescues and, I'm just so incredibly tech challenged!:oops:
I could understand if M is hesitant because she's embarrassed, but if anybody is to have any blame it is me. I gave my baby away in the first place.
Trying to get info from M is like pulling teeth. Which is scary, maybe she's hiding something worse. I can't go there.
I'd love to know what happened to the horses staying at her Mom's farm? Now there's no room at a friend's? Anyway, I'll get busy. Thank you so much!!

#12 ·
Fingers crossed this works for you. Appleton is pretty rural but also pretty small, and most know each other from my experience….I was the nursing supervisor at the local hospital years ago, and can vouch for the fact that they all pretty much know each other….and many are related. lol

#15 ·
Thanks for the good wishes!
I probably went through more with this filly in her first 6 months than horses I had for years. Shoot, before she was born! We were all so worried about Luvy, how she would handle foaling at her age and if the foal would be healthy.
Having her back would also fulfill my curiosity about if she's going to have any color changes. Probably not, but with a loud black and white paint daddy and sorrel w/ blanket POA mommy. Is she going to stay a dark bay? I know horses don't develop paint patterns, but I have a hope for spots. I want to see if her hooves stripe and any mottled skin show up. She's got the sclera!

#17 ·
I sent the email, day before yesterday. I haven't heard anything back yet. Your friend, franknbeans, may just be busy, but it would be so nice to know she got it. With all that she does, she has got to be one busy lady!! Patience is not one of my strengths even when I'm not worried.:oops: The last thing I want, is to be pushy.
All the things that go through my mind, not knowing. M's friend saying that Belle, didn't look all that good. What did that mean, did she look depressed, skinny, injured??? Is this woman advertising or even just talking to lots of people (about wanting to getting rid of her). Anybody could come up and offer money and walk away with Belle? Then she'd be lost forever?? If she didn't look good then, what does she look like now? What is happening to her on a daily basis?
The not knowing may be the worst part, or maybe not. I just hate this!!

#19 ·
First, she is not a friend, just someone whose email network I am on, since around here, there is no really organized way of getting word out about shows, events, missing horses, anything. SHe sends out emails a couple of times a week, typically, in batches of sorts. I may not get anything for days, then will get 10 or something. Yu sent the email on Friday-this is the weekend, in the summer, and likely she is busy with her own horses. Unfortunately, you will have to be patient. In the meantime, if I were in your shoes, I would be contacting M and seeing what the deal is. YOu should be playing this from more than one angle, IMO.

Have you been watching the Buffalo AND Rochester Craiglist? Might be worth while. YOu could try contacting Begin Again Rescue, but they are about 50 miles (at least) away and I am not sure if they can help you.

#20 ·
As I have said, I am in contact with M, every single day. Getting info out of her is like pulling teeth. Today she, finally, gave me a name. I'm not having luck finding her using the fb search. I'm googling next.
Asking for help here, anywhere IS trying to work more than one angle.
I've looked at the Buffalo cl, I will try Rochester, thank you.
I tried searching equine rescue in Buffalo, to get as close as possible, but still wasn't sure where most of them are. Guess I just need to buy a New York map, so I can lay it out in front of me. I'll check into Begin Again now.

#21 ·
Could somebody please check out the "16 month filly" on the Rochester craigslist? Please!! If it is her,this owner knows she comes from Kansas, if I send an email she may figure that it is somebody connected to M and not reply.
16 months old, right color, right body, no socks, I just wish I could see the star better, but it looks awfully close.

#22 ·
Email sent, as follows:
Hi-I am inquiring about the filly you have listed on Craigslist.

Why are you selling her? Do you have her mom? Know who the parents are? How big would you guess she will mature? I would love to know how she is bred to see if she would suit my purposes, and also to have some idea of trainability/personality and mature size.

You say she is UTD on vaccines-does she have a current coggins? Is she good for the farrier?

I am in the Rochester Metro area, where are you located?

Thanks-XXXX

Now, OP-what are your plans if it IS her? You should be prepared to get a shipper to come get her, which will likely not be cheap.

#23 ·
I sent the link to M. She is suddenly on the ball and said she has someone that's going to go get her.
I don't know if I should be joyful or terrified, terrified that this is going to not work.
I'm going to send M my phone #, again, and beg her to call me.

I called Begin Again rescue and got voice mail. I don't know if they would hold her, for a fee of course.
M said she will bring her to Kansas when she picks up her other horse.
Believe me I wish to God I was in charge. I wish I just knew what is happening!!

#25 ·
I believe there is or you could do a search here or ask folks.

No it did not sound like you were not willing to pay at all but I think you need to be prepared that it will certainly not be a cheap date so to speak. I actually know one. I will get you the info later. He is south of buffalo. He and his wife also have a boarding barn just FYI. Too bad this was not a week or so ago. One just brought a horse to our farm from Kentucky and that may have been cheaper

I will message you later with the one I know personally through a friend and reining folks.

#26 ·
A lady from Begin Again horse rescue called. We had a good talk, then she confirmed with others in the rescue. They are having one of their group send an email, right now, to the ad.
If M has gotten Belle, the filly will be gone. My faith in M is little of nothing, so I fully expect to hear Belle is available. At which time I will "donate" $300. to the rescue for them to use to buy her. The wonderful woman said they have room and could keep Belle for up to 30 days. I assured her I will pay for the sanctuary. They don't "board" horses so that's what I'm calling it.
Whatever M has or hasn't done, there is an actual plan in progress!
I will update as soon as I can when I have news.
It looks like I probably will need transport!

Please don't stop praying, I will not stop feeling queasy until I have proof Belle is safe!

#31 ·
M said that it is absolutely her. The pics in the ad are ones from shortly after the latest owner got her. M says they (the pics) are on owner's fb page. The page I can't find. According to M, right after the pics were taken Belle stayed in a box stall, no turn out, for 2 months.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is when the woman started having issues. Keep a baby locked up, I'd act out.:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.