The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Chiropractors...Do they Help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/chiropractors-do-they-help-4626/)

Gypsy29 12-05-2007 05:10 PM

Chiropractors...Do they Help?

Hi, I have a mare that got kicked in the shoulder. I am not sure if this is even possible, but at the withers the shoulder she got kicked in is higher than the other shoulder :cry: . Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and what I should do. Would a Chiropractor help? Thanks!

Spirithorse 12-05-2007 06:28 PM

It's very possible that she got knocked out of alignment. Chiropractic work is amazing! I'm a firm believer in that and equine massage (so much so that I'm a certified equine sports massage therapist now! lol). My horse was recently having trouble picking up the left lead, and I noticed that he wasn't reaching under himself with his left hind leg at the canter on a line, so I had the chiro. come out and VIOLA! He's all better! :lol: So yes, chiro. work is fabulous and it might be a good idea to have one come out and look at your horse.

jazzyrider 12-06-2007 05:59 AM

i agree!! chiros are fantastic and so many problems can be fixed in one session :) if she is looking wonky then she is almost definitely out of alignment and needing a chiropractic job

Frog 12-06-2007 04:52 PM

Definitely, but only if you get a good one! I've seen a couple of dodgies running around taking peoples money.

Do some research on any possible choices and perhaps talk to people that have used them.

crackrider 12-08-2007 08:56 PM

I think Chiropractors are great. They WORK!!! :D
I've seen horses that are not quite right and vets have no idea whats wrong and then get a chiro to have a look and good ones can tell you staight away what's wrong and then set about fixing it!

imdreamin 12-12-2007 03:25 PM

I think they are great too, I am one actually. Even if the horse doesn't appear lame, it will affect the biomechanics, or the way the horse is moving, that can eventually lead to problems. I never hurts to have a chiropractic evaluation done. Good luck!

I Love Lane 12-12-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse
It's very possible that she got knocked out of alignment. Chiropractic work is amazing! I'm a firm believer in that and equine massage (so much so that I'm a certified equine sports massage therapist now! lol). My horse was recently having trouble picking up the left lead, and I noticed that he wasn't reaching under himself with his left hind leg at the canter on a line, so I had the chiro. come out and VIOLA! He's all better! :lol: So yes, chiro. work is fabulous and it might be a good idea to have one come out and look at your horse.

I also think that you should get a chiropractor to look at your guy. However - not putting down chiros here cause i think that they are wonderful but - a massage therapist is also needed because there is no point putting all the bones back where they belong if the surronding muscles are not in the right place to keep them there. Get the massage therapy FIRST and then get the chiro out :D

Spirithorse 12-12-2007 11:34 PM

I Love Lane, I'm not going to agree or disagree with you on your last post..........I can see it going both ways. I would think you would want the chiro out FIRST, and here's why.

The horse is out of alignment. So he's compensating in other areas of his body to *try* to make his body move correctly. This can lead to sore muscles and, if left alone too long, over developed muscles. If the chiro adjusts the horse, then the skeletal system is correct, so then the massage therapist can come in and help release the tension in the muscles and help get the horse flexible again.

Just my thoughts.

jazzyrider 12-13-2007 12:19 AM

i can see this from both angles too. my personal opinion would be massage therapist, chiro and then continuing massage therapy maybe having the massage and the chiro in close succession

Annabel 12-13-2007 02:41 AM

a friend of mine has a horse who tore all the ligaments in her back, and even after seeing 4 different chiropractors, the poor horse could still not be ridden :( but is now living happily on a retirment farm,but thats just one story