The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   My goat gave me ringworm a few months back and since then I won't touch him... (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/my-goat-gave-me-ringworm-few-46281/)

Brianna6432 01-27-2010 04:09 PM

My goat gave me ringworm a few months back and since then I won't touch him...

A few months ago I got ringworm from my goat. Since then I haven't really touched him...

I checked my goat but found no ringworm so I just decided not to touch him.

I know other animals can get it, too, but I know he had it...

Does ringworm go away after a few months?

Speed Racer 01-27-2010 04:17 PM

Ringworm is the most recognized fungal disease in goats.

It is not a worm, but rather a fungus which usually appears during prolonged periods of very wet weather, often when it's difficult to keep the pens clean and therefore disease free.

Ringworm can be located almost anywhere on the goat's body; its appearance is that of a rounded patch of hair surrounded completely by a hairless ring. Left untreated, it gets bigger and bigger. Ringworm is contagious both to goats and humans.

Treatment involves donning disposable gloves and thoroughly washing the area with a topical skin disinfectant like Betadine Surgical Scrub. Then wipe the cleansed skin surface dry, and apply 1% Clotrimazole Cream to the affected area. Repeat this treatment daily for at least two weeks and possibly longer, until the ringworm is gone.

Don't expect the ringworm to just 'go away'. As that animal's owner, it's your responsibility to make sure he gets the proper treatment.

Brianna6432 01-27-2010 04:26 PM

Yes, yes, I know.
He had the ringworm before I even got him. I searched him but found nothing.

xxBarry Godden 01-27-2010 04:37 PM

Briann - touch your horse - all over. Stroke it, brush it, wash it, even kiss it.
touch your dog - give it a cuddle

but for lots of reasons I can think of - leave goats alone.

Alwaysbehind 01-27-2010 04:43 PM

Um, if you searched him all over and you found no spots on him then why is it that you are so sure the ringworm came from the goat?

You can get it lots of places. Yes, even from your horse and dog.

Brianna6432 01-27-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Godden (Post 534983)
Briann - touch your horse - all over. Stroke it, brush it, wash it, even kiss it.
touch your dog - give it a cuddle

but for lots of reasons I can think of - leave goats alone.

Well I would like to hear some of those reasons.

Vidaloco 01-27-2010 06:06 PM

I had a baby kitten with ringworm. It developed from a compromised immune system. I had to quarantine her away from the other animals until she was clear. I bathed her and treated the fungus just as speed racer said.
You can get it from many sources and its easy to cure once found. You need to find out who has it before it spreads to your other livestock.

xxBarry Godden 01-30-2010 07:14 AM

Brianne
Lots of reasons = lots of baby ringworms

Sorry I must apologise.
I love my dogs - even other people's dogs
I love my horse although not all of other peoples' horses

Goats, well my wife once bought some to keep on our small holding. The idea was that they ate the weeds around the place. They also provided goats milk. But they ate every thing.

Then they discovered where the house was - so they used to come up and say hello. They wanted to be allowed to live with us like the dogs did.
But they bleated - oh did they bleat - that noise.

Then they wandered about - so we had to tie them up and I hate having to tie an animal up - all the time. For their safety maybe tieing them up might be acceptable, after all I have to tie my horse up. But needing to tie up for my convenience - no that gives me a conscience. We did not tie up the chickens. But when tied up, the goats bleated even more.

And if anyone came to the house - they wanted to be introduced - and they bleated anyway.

No Briann for me the goats had to go. - That bleating!!

B G

Alwaysbehind 01-30-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Godden (Post 537320)
Brianne
Lots of reasons = lots of baby ringworms

Barry, you do realize that ring worm is not actually a worm, don't you?

xxBarry Godden 01-30-2010 12:45 PM

Always
yes, but the meaning is the same.

It is that "bleating" - it never stopped