The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   wanting Calvin out!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/wanting-calvin-out-46435/)

appy rider 4 life 01-29-2010 11:27 AM

wanting Calvin out!!

So i have been seeing Calvin a lot lately. not up close but from the road. and i can see that he is skinny! and i am in a rage becasue of this. i need advice on what i should do! he has a blanket on so i think she is trying to hide it. if i could take him i would but i can not have horses where i live. what you guys do if you saw it????

iridehorses 01-29-2010 11:47 AM

I don't know how you can tell he is skinny if he is under a blanket. Perhaps you can stop, tell them that you have admired him from the road, that you love horses, and would they mind if you spent some time with him. That way you can accomplish several things,

You can have some time with Calvin and keep an eye on him at the same time.

appy rider 4 life 01-29-2010 12:35 PM

i know that he is skinny because i have seen him without a blanket on. i dont really want to be around the woman. But i will see what i can do.

Speed Racer 01-29-2010 12:46 PM

First of all, if you steal someone's horse you could be in BIG trouble, so get that thought out of your mind.

Also, if you approach this woman with the attitude you're showing on here, she'll probably throw you off her property and tell you to never come back.

If the horse is really in danger of dying from starvation, give the local ACO a call. By law, they're obligated to check out every complaint.

However, if the horse has food, water and shelter, depending on your local laws concerning animal husbandry requirements, there's nothing AC can do if this woman is within the letter of the law.

Just because you don't like seeing him less than hog fat, doesn't mean he's necessarily starving to death.

No one wants to see an animal mistreated or food withheld, but I get the impression from many of you that if someone isn't taking care of an animal the way YOU think they should, then they're doing it all wrong in your opinion.

Kashmere 01-29-2010 01:03 PM

I agree with Speed racer.
Go ahead and first of all check and double check!
No need to yell for fire when there is none :)

Try see if indeed food is being held back or if it doesn't get enough :)
I do hope Calvin is just fine!

appy rider 4 life 02-01-2010 11:10 AM

okay thanks guys!

themacpack 02-01-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 536610)
First of all, if you steal someone's horse you could be in BIG trouble, so get that thought out of your mind.

Also, if you approach this woman with the attitude you're showing on here, she'll probably throw you off her property and tell you to never come back.

If the horse is really in danger of dying from starvation, give the local ACO a call. By law, they're obligated to check out every complaint.

However, if the horse has food, water and shelter, depending on your local laws concerning animal husbandry requirements, there's nothing AC can do if this woman is within the letter of the law.

Just because you don't like seeing him less than hog fat, doesn't mean he's necessarily starving to death.

No one wants to see an animal mistreated or food withheld, but I get the impression from many of you that if someone isn't taking care of an animal the way YOU think they should, then they're doing it all wrong in your opinion.

Yes - the only legal (and safe) recourse for you at this point is to make a report and leave it to the proper authority to evaluate his situation as it fits within local regulations.

appy rider 4 life 02-02-2010 11:21 AM

okay thanks