The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Wanting a draft horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/wanting-draft-horse-46441/)

TrinaLaine 01-29-2010 12:31 PM

Wanting a draft horse.

So, I'm trying to talk my parents into getting a horse and I'm interested in getting a Draft but first I need to know a few things about them and I was hoping some of you could help me out.
#1 Boarding. Does it normally cost more to board a draft? Will most boarding centers even allow you to board a draft horse being that they're so big?
#2 Cost. Does it cost more to care for a draft than a lighter horse. What does it coast annually on average?
#3 Shoeing. Do draft breeds have to be shod, or can they go barefoot?
#4 Riding. What age are drafts able to be ridden and are they good for riding? Do they have good gaits?
#5 Tack. Do many places carry draft tack? Does it cost more?
#6 Temperament. Are they generally gentle or more excitable than lighter horses?
#7 Grooming. About how much longer does it take to groom a draft?
#8 Breed. What are some of the more common breeds? What are the ones that you like most?

If there is anything else you can think of that I might need to know, please please tell me. I'll add anything else that I can't think of right now.
Thank you.:)

leapoffaithfarm 01-29-2010 12:45 PM

I am rather new to owning a draft but I have several friends that have had drafts for years.

#1 Boarding. Does it normally cost more to board a draft? Will most boarding centers even allow you to board a draft horse being that they're so big? -- > the barn that they used to keep their drafts at they where charged more since they consumed more hay and grain than the other horses

#2 Cost. Does it cost more to care for a draft than a lighter horse. What does it coast annually on average? I know that my draft costs more to feed as she does eat more than my other horses that I have.

That depends on the horse. My draft is barefoot but she has good feet and I do not ride where it is really rocky or anything

#4 Riding. What age are drafts able to be ridden and are they good for riding? Do they have good gaits?
Riding my big draft is so smooth she is GREAT. I was told when i had a draft cross (he passed away from colic at 2 years old :-() that you should break them later due to the slower maturity rate. But my draft that I have now was broke to ride, drive and work when she was 4

I have found that the tack is more but not by that much.. i have been able to find everything that I want on ebay at very decent prices

#6 Temperament. Are they generally gentle or more excitable than lighter horses?
All of the draft horses that I have ever met are the most laid back easy going horses.
Take me only a bit longer than my other horses.

#8 Breed. What are some of the more common breeds? What are the ones that you like most? I have a Belgian and my Mac (RIP) was a Percheron/TB

TrinaLaine 01-29-2010 12:49 PM

Thank you so much!

TrinaLaine 01-29-2010 01:05 PM

I was also wondering about how much it would be to buy a draft?
I'm interested in Clydesdale's and Shires. Is there an average price for these breeds in particular?

FeatheredFeet 01-29-2010 04:14 PM

Consider looking through all the Draft rescues. There are so many needing homes and some quite well trained already.

TrinaLaine 01-29-2010 05:59 PM

Do you know if there are any websites for draft rescues?

FeatheredFeet 01-29-2010 06:42 PM

Google Draft rescue and you'll come up with many.

leapoffaithfarm 01-29-2010 07:37 PM

I got a deal on my draft they only wanted $700 for her and she is broke to ride and drive. And it gets even better there was a horse that I had for sale that she was interested in so we just did an even swap.

danastark 01-29-2010 10:22 PM

#1 Boarding. Does it normally cost more to board a draft? Will most boarding centers even allow you to board a draft horse being that they're so big?

I don't board my horse but I've heard most places charge more due to the potential damage a draft horse can cause to the facilities.

#2 Cost. Does it cost more to care for a draft than a lighter horse. What does it coast annually on average?

I'm not sure exactly what it costs to feed my guy annually but he goes through about 1/2 a 100 lb. bale a day in hay and bales run $13-$19 a bale for good grass hay. Some draft horses can't be fed alfalfa due to a metabolic disorder that runs in drafts. You might have to pay extra if they don't feed grass hay.

Not all drafts have to be shod. I live in CA where it's very rocky and have to keep my gelding's front feet shod. Luckily my farrier charges me the same to do his big feet as he does to do my other horse but that's very unusual. Some people have a hard time finding a farrier who will care for their horse-very hard on their backs and toes I've been told!

My gelding is 5 and hopefully done growing. I waited until he was 3 to get on and only did light trail riding at the walk, started trotting more at 3 1/2, increased the demands on him and did a little arena work at 4 and finally cantered him at 5. He is a draft cross, well-proportioned, longer legs, neck, more angle to his shoulder than a full-draft and his walk and trot are lovely. His canter is very unbalanced right now but still not bad.

Not too many places carry draft tack around here so I've had to order on line and once in a while something shows up at my local consignment store. It hasn't cost me any more except that I had to keep getting new saddles while he was growing...... finally I think we're done in an XL tree!

My gelding has been extremely easy to train and 75% of the time, he is soooo calm and sensible but like any other horse, he has his moments of insanity. He's an amazing trail horse, loves water, very brave, easy-going, rides double, no fuss ever :)

Well, my daughter's complain when they wash him that it's like washing 2 horses and hard to reach his back so we need a stepstool. At 40+ I have great biceps!

#8 Breed. What are some of the more common breeds? What are the ones that you like most?
My gelding is a cross of perch/paint/clyde/TB. I think often drafts are crossed with TB's which makes a pretty nice riding horse.

I bought my gelding from a PMU rescue for $900 as a yearling and have done all his training. Don't know what he'd be worth now but I get compliments on him all the time :) There are a lot of needy horses out there right now at auctions and rescues so look in your area, call your local animal control/shelter, etc.

Goodluck!

Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/wanting-draft-horse-46441/#ixzz0e3dCFh32

TrinaLaine 01-29-2010 11:58 PM

Thank you all so much!