The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Building an outdoor riding arena start to finish! (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/building-outdoor-riding-arena-start-finish-46470/)

Ray MacDonald 01-29-2010 07:00 PM

Building an outdoor riding arena start to finish!

I am building an outdoor riding arena from start to finish! The place we are putting it is the top half of my pasture. What is the first thing I have to do to it?

It has almost no grass. Gets very muddy when it rains. not completely level, it kinda goes down hill.

Any information is awesome! and also any tips are welcome!

Thanks! :D

churumbeque 01-29-2010 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 536958)
I am building an outdoor riding arena from start to finish! The place we are putting it is the top half of my pasture. What is the first thing I have to do to it?

It has almost no grass. Gets very muddy when it rains. not completely level, it kinda goes down hill.

Any information is awesome! and also any tips are welcome!

Thanks! :D

I personally pick an area that doesn't get muddy and drains. When I built mine which was a ravine I rented a skid loader and dug up the high side and moved the dirt to the low side. Then I found some guys doing some street work and had 80 loads of fill hauled in. I leveled that out and then they hauled 30 loads of sand in from the same road work. I leveled that out and then built a reatining wall on the high side. It needs gilled and I now also have a gate that I built.
Pic attached

Ray MacDonald 01-31-2010 01:54 PM

Thats a really good idea! what did you first thing you put down? (the fill?)

churumbeque 01-31-2010 05:21 PM

Yes the fill goes down 1st, then I think the next thing that was brought was dirt and then sand and some lime over that. The lime hardens and keeps it from getting too soft. If I hadn't found free fill it would have been sooo expensive as it probaly would have added another 7K. I oriced someone coming out with a skid loader and doing the 1st part. They quoted 5K and I rented a machine for maybe 300.00 and a long weekend of work. It was rewarding to do it my self.