The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   I don't get it (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/i-dont-get-46491/)

Dani9192 01-29-2010 10:01 PM

I don't get it

My horse hates to be groomed. I mean honestly hates it especially on her shoulders.. At first I thought there was something wrong so we called the vet out and he said she didn't have any problems, perfectly fine. Every time i groom her she tries to bite me at least once, it used to be a lot more but someone told me if you pop them in the bottom of the chin they wont know where it comes from and just learn that if they try to bite something bad will happen, and it wont make them face shy. okay, but anyways she hates it so much... she's resorted to biting her own leg instead of trying to get me. she also paws and chews the wood on the stall in front of her (i think that's because she's bored though). Does anyone else have a horse that hates to be groomed? or acts in such a way?

CecilliaB 01-29-2010 10:12 PM

Yup, mine hates it all baths, main, being brushed. He doesn't bite he bobs his head or moves around. I solved the brushing part a long time ago he just has very sensitive skin and is veeeery ticklish so I use a gentle rubber curry and super soft bristle brush.

He has never had a bad experience cuz I have had him all his life he just doesn't like to be groomed. It's his 1 bad thing, he'd much rather be a dirt ball ;) What works for me depends on his mood often times he's fine if I talk to him and it just soothes him. If that doesn't work a sharp "AAH!" reprimand buys me some time.

paint gurl 23 01-29-2010 10:14 PM

I had a gelding that would do this but he was extremely sore. Horses have extremely sensitive skin (as you probably know) I had alot of chiro/massage done on him (he was in bad shape) but after a month he just slowly started to enjoy it and he just stopped dancing around etc on his own. Has something to do with the tissues and nerves or something.

Has she always done this? Some horses dont enjoy being groomed, not too many mind you, but they are out there! lol

Walkamile 01-29-2010 10:26 PM

Walka is very sensitive skinned. He now will stand quite well to be curried and brushed, but I do not use the same "vigor" that I do with his mother T. She LOVES the grooming experience completely!

With Walka, I started with my hands, rubbing and massaging. Worked up to a rag, and than a soft brush. Finally to a stiffer brush and was able to add the rubber curry. Took it fairly slow and easy and did have to verbally remind him to stand. I don't tie, usually groom while they eat, so they are relaxed and in a "happy" place. When saddling, I do tie to the trailer, and he has done very well to stand and take the grooming and saddling calmly and quite patiently.

Now remember, this is a horse that if he has a horse fly on him will stop and turn his head to me to remove it! Can't stand anything on him (we are working on this) but at the same time dragged a tree branch caught in his tail like it was just business as usual. I guess because it wasn't irritating his skin he didn't care, go figure.

sorry so long, just kinda drifted. :lol:

justsambam08 01-29-2010 11:19 PM

My TB I think just hates how long I take to groom him. He's off the track, and they're pretty fast there, where as I take my time. The faster I work the better he seems to be! However he does not like currying at all (I use on of those gelly glove things that are supposed to be for baths) and he's always turning around and pinning his ears at me.

gypsygirl 01-29-2010 11:24 PM

my horse scout HATES being grooming, he will tolerate being scratched at times though ! he doesnt bite people [anymore] but he will bite the air in front of him or the cross ties. he was also abused [kicked repeatedly in the belly for refusing jumps, beat in the face, basically just beat in general] & he used to be extremely head shy. so i dont hit him, as long as he doesnt try to bite people i am fine with his crabby faces & biting of the cross ties. his least favorite spot is his neck.

Dani9192 01-29-2010 11:37 PM

Yes she has always done this, the first people who had her were scared of her so they didn't do much of anything with her, but i've had since she was three and have known her since she was a baby. I think she's really ticklish and sensitive maybe, because if you barely touch her she'll quiver and look at you lol. that's why i had the vet called out because i thought she was sore but he said she was fine is it possible that he didn't pick up on something. I plan on getting a chiro out this spring, for an alignment i'll have them look into that too though

Amba1027 01-30-2010 12:36 AM

The horse I rode tonight hates being groomed. He also seems to dislike being petted... I think he is just a grumpy old man lol. I have not idea why he dislikes it. He's a lesson horse so I have no idea if it's something in his history or what. He acts like he's going to bite but won't actually try to unless you're really close to his head.

maura 01-30-2010 12:58 AM

I had an OTTB like this, and since I'm a practical person, I dealt with it by keeping him clipped all the time, and doing him off quickly with a warm towel rather than brushing. It bothered me a little that we couldn't do the bonding and relaxation while grooming thing, but he hated it so much (his skin would literally crawl when I attempted to brush him, currying was out of the question), the softest body brush and warm towel were the best I could come up with.

I had this wonderful groom/working student that we nicknamed Zen groom - she was very in to New Age metaphysics, studied equine massage and Tellington touch. The fact the this horse hated to be groomed so much was a personal challenge to her. Pretty much every day she arrived at the barn with a new tool (lots of the Grooma brushes) and a new technique to try. Eventually she got to the point were the horse would stand relaxed and chew and sigh while being groomed with the gentlest of strokes and the softest of tools.

So go slow, be patient, try lots of different tools, and don't force anything on her. Pay attention to her response.

If all else fails, clip and hot towel. :-)

Mickey4793 01-30-2010 02:49 PM

I used to own a horse that was severely abused when he was younger, he was only 6 years old when I got him and hated every human being with a passion.
He would not get brushed was any brush without kicking, lashing out, and trying to bite me. It was almost like playing dodge ball trying not to get bitten.
I would try every method, being gentle and super slow, and talking to him, Ignoring the behaviours, or being very stern and giving him a "HEY" and a wack on the shoulder.
None of the above ever worked and he actually bit my mother on the head so badly that we had to go to the hospital, and we had to sell him because after months of trying to work through his severe aggressions towards humans he was just to dangerous.
If your mare wasn't abused she may have sensitive skin.