The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sore mouth? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sore-mouth-46507/)

tseluyu dylan 01-30-2010 12:55 AM

Sore mouth?

My pony Vello has sores on either side of his mouth. This is a new thing, He is very light in his snaffel, and yet is obtaining sores.

Any advice? Should I switch bits? Hmm, so strange.

thanks.

dressagexlee 01-30-2010 01:21 AM

What kind of cheek piece is it? Loose rings can catch the lips when they slide. Bit guards can solve this if it is the problem. The mouth piece could also be too short or too long, or too large/small in diameter and is rubbing. Also check if the bit is dirty or starting to rust. Wash it anyways, because if you cleaned it with something that was corrosive/toxic (like polish), or the soap, etcetera didn't rinse off completely when it was last washed.
Check bridle fit, too. Leather can shrink in cold weather, or if you've recently bought a new bridle it could be needing adjustment.

If it isn't the bit, it could be your hands. Critique yourself honestly or ask your trainer to assess your hands and give her opinion.

luvs2ride1979 01-30-2010 01:30 AM

It could be that the bit is too small for his mouth. He should have about 1/2" of space between the corners of his mouth and the sides of the bit.

A picture would help, with and without his bridle on.

tseluyu dylan 01-30-2010 01:30 AM

Alright thanks! I will run through this checklist tomorrow at the stable.
It is an loose D ring, and I think tomorrow I will put him in his copper eggbut* snaffel see if that fixes anything.

tseluyu dylan 01-30-2010 01:32 AM

luvs2ride1979* will take some photos tomorrow and post!

tseluyu dylan 02-03-2010 12:43 AM

I went to take pictures of his mouth today, but his sores are all healed up from a day off.

Riding him in his pelham he doesn't sore.

Is typically ride him in a loose ring snaffel, but this causes with sores.

What are some show legal bits that I could try out?

luvs2ride1979 02-03-2010 12:56 AM

It could be that your loose ring is just too small for him and is pinching. It sounds like that is the case. If so, you could try the same bit, just 1/2" bigger. An egg butt or d-ring with the same mouth piece might be a good option as well.

tseluyu dylan 02-03-2010 01:01 AM

alright! that could be it! I got the bit second hand, and it seemed to fit, 5 1/2 is his regular size but possibly this one ran small.

luvs2ride1979 02-03-2010 10:20 AM

You often need to go up a size with loose rings. My mare can wear a 5 or 5.25" d-ring or egg butt, but her loose ring (french link) is a 5.5".