The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Moody horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/moody-horses-4652/)

HaflingerCowGirl 12-08-2007 04:42 PM

Moody horses

Hey everyone! :roll: I have yet another question. I had surgery back in september and I have not been able to ride. I've riden about 3 times in total sense then and soon I will be able to get back to it. But my question is...sense i've had surgery my father has been most graciously taking care of them. But of course he pats them, feeds them and thats about it. And they are getting very moody. My guess is because of the lack of attention. When I go out to visit them they are very lathargic and grumpy.(no perky ears and greeting as usual) So once i'm aloud to continue my usual activities I will be doing alot more with them like before. Any tips and/or advice you may have on making them anti grumpy would be very much appreciated. :D thanks

Spirithorse 12-08-2007 07:05 PM

LOTS OF UNDEMANDING TIME! :D My horse gets "moody" if I don't work with him for awhile (like now b/c of the rain, sleet and mud) so spending undemanding time with him for a few days really gets his spirits back up. Basically, take your horse out to graze. That's it. You can go for a walk on-line, maybe play at liberty some, but don't start the "work" right off the bat. If you do, your horse many go, "Now, wait a sec! You weren't here in FOR EVER, and now you think you can just come back in here and boss me around?? OH NO YOU DIDN'T!" :lol: I'm bein serious! haha. So yea, undemanding time is FABULOUS!

Gypsy29 12-08-2007 10:41 PM

I completely agree with Spirithorse. Spend some time doing the horses favorite thing rather that be brushing or eating or anything else. I know my horse loves to eat :lol: I think it would really help!

HaflingerCowGirl 12-09-2007 03:04 PM

Yeah that sounds like a great plan :lol: my horses love to eat. I will hang out and play with them until they get happier then slowly start working them again :D thanks so much

barnrat 12-09-2007 06:51 PM

yeah....I always do a ton of ground work before I work or ride the horses I work with! :)