The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   All sorts of questions about entering a dressage show! (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/all-sorts-questions-about-entering-dressage-46533/)

Mickey4793 01-30-2010 03:21 PM

All sorts of questions about entering a dressage show!

My long term goals for my horse right now is to be able to enter him into dressage shows at the barn I keep him at, this spring!
I've never entered a dressage show by itself, the only show's I have ever done are schooling events.
The barn I keep my horse at hosts USDF Recognized dressage shows.
And I would love to take my horse into a recognized dressage show!
So I need to know everything, about rules, restrictions and such.
I mainly am wondering; does the saddle have to be black, does the saddle pad have to be white?
My horse had a beautiful custon made dressage saddle, but it's an almost faded black with a hint of mahogany, with a matching bridle [no special attachments] with a regular single-jointed snaffle.
I believe I was once told that splint boots are not allowed, so I'd skip on those, but polo wraps?
I would compete and lower level tests, what do I have to wear, what am I permitted to wear?
Thanks!

Skyhuntress 01-31-2010 12:15 PM

I mainly am wondering; does the saddle have to be black, does the saddle pad have to be white?
Nope, the saddle does not have to be black. In fact, brown dressage saddles are getting into fashion. It doesn't even have to be a dressage saddle at the lower levels. And no, the saddle pad doesn't HAVE to be white (it is considered custom though) but you will see some black, some grey and some green saddle pads-so long as its a conservative color.

I believe I was once told that splint boots are not allowed, so I'd skip on those, but polo wraps?

Nothing is allowed on the legs at recognized shows.

I would compete and lower level tests, what do I have to wear, what am I permitted to wear?

If its a recognized show, you have to have breeches (white or tan, preferably white), a show jacket, show shirt with stock tie and boots. (I think tall boots. I'm not entirely sure if half chaps are allowed at recognized shows in the US)

Mickey4793 01-31-2010 06:51 PM

Thank you! I have personally just learned that half chaps are not allowed.

dressagexlee 02-05-2010 12:46 PM

This PDF document highlights most of the legalities of USEF Dressage shows.

I think matching leather half-chaps are allowed up to First Level, in the U.S. and Canada, as long as it isn't an FEI or internationally sanctioned show.

If half-chaps aren't allowed at lower levels, I will be so mad! No way can I afford them, especially if I'll grow out of them within a few monthes.
Maybe I'll sew my half chaps to my boots... >:D
"But miss ring-keeper lady, nobody said they couldn't be home-made tall boots!"

~*~anebel~*~ 02-05-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagexlee (Post 543310)
This PDF document highlights most of the legalities of USEF Dressage shows.

I think matching leather half-chaps are allowed up to First Level, in the U.S. and Canada, as long as it isn't an FEI or internationally sanctioned show.

If half-chaps aren't allowed at lower levels, I will be so mad! No way can I afford them, especially if I'll grow out of them within a few monthes.
Maybe I'll sew my half chaps to my boots... >:D
"But miss ring-keeper lady, nobody said they couldn't be home-made tall boots!"

In Canada, half chaps are not allowed past bronze rated shows, in any level, in fact they might not even be allowed at bronze shows anymore... Fairly sure it's the same in the states.
And the rules actually state they have to be dress-type boots so I'm not sure that would work....

dressagexlee 02-05-2010 09:30 PM

Ah, I found this. The 2010 Dressage Canada rulebook. Type in the Find bar, "ARTICLE E 4.1.4 BRONZE COMPETITIONS".
It says, "Black or brown half chaps or half boots zipped over short boots may be worn. Half chaps/boots are forbidden at Silver and Gold
competitions."
*happy dance*